Ready or not, Friendship bound May 2nd

ENCORE

The lead sled has officially been put away. Sleds are a good option to find out how good, or bad, a rifle may shoot. However it was time to start shooting off the shoulder, as is required in the match.

Now for those that think its easy to shoot long range targets off the shoulder, try it. I'm leaning that shooting 200yds and beyond from the shoulder while target shooting, is a world different than when hunting, where you're mind is someplace else.

I started out noticing that I had an anchor problem. Maybe by accident, I found that if I shouldered the rifle with the barrel pointing ever so slightly to the right (right handed), then bring the barrel back on target, it helped to steady the crosshairs significantly. Using the identical amount of pressure with the shock on my shoulder, is also critical (for me anyway). I am also using a PAST shoulder shooting pad.

The club opened up the roads, finally, so I hit the range last weekend when we had a decent day. The first two rounds certainly indicated my lack of a good anchor. I was able to tighten them up after settling down some. I did not touch the turrets when shooting. I need one more shoot and if the results are identical, then I'll set the turret for a zero. I was given cutouts for pigs, which will be shot at 300m and I'll also shoot that next time at the range. This sure is fun though.........

Wow!!!!! U shoot that off shoulder at 200????!!!

I must bow down to the encore master!!!!!!!

That's some dang good shooting!!!!

Wow!!!!! U shoot that off shoulder at 200????!!!

I must bow down to the encore master!!!!!!!

That's some dang good shooting!!!!

In the match you can use a front rest, bag or cross sticks ONLY.

I did use a front rest, with only the shoulder in the rear, which are match rules. That is one of the official 200yd match targets. I DID NOT shoot that target off hand. gun)

In the match you can use a front rest, bag or cross sticks ONLY.

I did use a front rest, with only the shoulder in the rear, which are match rules. That is one of the official 200yd match targets. I DID NOT shoot that target off hand. gun)
Just curious, can you use your off hand in a clenched fist as a "rear bag" in the match or is it purely shoulder pressure?

Good shooting.

Just curious, can you use your off hand in a clenched fist as a "rear bag" in the match or is it purely shoulder pressure?

Good shooting.

Its my understanding that its shoulder only, no other rear support.

The match as I understand it, is to replicate hunting type situations, thus the front rest only. This is my first time participating, so I'm not totally sure what to expect. There'll be some really good shots there and it'll be a great place to learn more about longer range muzzleloader shooting. I'm not going with any expectations, other than it will be an adventure and a outstanding learning experience.

I've became FB friends with the two guys who organize it. I've suggested that they do a training video for potential participants. Myself I have a 10 hour drive to reach the match, some may be coming from further. A video showing how the match was shot would help prepare shooters for the things they need to have with them.

Its my understanding that its shoulder only, no other rear support.

The match as I understand it, is to replicate hunting type situations, thus the front rest only. This is my first time participating, so I'm not totally sure what to expect. There'll be some really good shots there and it'll be a great place to learn more about longer range muzzleloader shooting. I'm not going with any expectations, other than it will be an adventure and a outstanding learning experience.

I've became FB friends with the two guys who organize it. I've suggested that they do a training video for potential participants. Myself I have a 10 hour drive to reach the match, some may be coming from further. A video showing how the match was shot would help prepare shooters for the things they need to have with them.
I absolutely agree.

Posting it on Youtube might also generate a lot more interest in these shoots if they did so.

When I used to go to any type of competition I had one goal in mind. "Don't embarrass yourself and learn as much as you can".

I always had a good time and learned something as a result and usually managed to be successful as well.

That mindset takes the pressure off of you and helps you just relax and that's usually when one will be most successful anyhow.

Today was a nice day at the range. Sent a fouler at a 200yd target, then send 10 rounds trying for a good score.

Then I turned my attention to the pig :) A seasoned shooter suggested I shoot at 300 and at a pig, just to visualize what it looks like. Had a shooter trace a pig out on newspaper and send it to me. I traced it out on cardboard then painted it black. I then sent 10 rounds at the pig. First 3 were high and spread, which was my anchor. I think I corrected it and killed that pig... gun)

ENCORE,

YOU ARE THE MASTER JEDI!!!!!

THat is some awesome shooting!!!!!
Teach the wild one a thing or two!!! wild rose can blow some holes with that STW but he needs more guidance than I can give due to experience!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

ENCORE,

YOU ARE THE MASTER JEDI!!!!!

THat is some awesome shooting!!!!!
Teach the wild one a thing or two!!! wild rose can blow some holes with that STW but he needs more guidance than I can give due to experience!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)
This forum is definitely the "Special Ed Class" for me.:D

I've been shoot'n the muzz for a long time but not without a rear rest. This is all new to me too and I have a lot more to learn. There will be some "crack shots" at the match. Seasoned shooters who know what they're doing. I look forward to shooting with and learning from them. Believe me, they're going to be sending me to school, but that's what its all about.

If you think about it, with the popularity of muzzleloading growing as it is, where can a shooter go to learn? There may be a lot of long range shooting schools, but they're all for centerfire shooters. The Friendship in-line match is a place where although you may have to travel, EVERYONE there will help you learn. I may be wrong, but there may be just one organization where one can buy a DVD about accurate muzzleloader shooting but, its not about how to shoot longer ranges. I even suggested to the two guys that started the in-line match, that they should video it and make it available for new prospective shooters. Someone someplace should start something like that. They may not get rich selling DVD's, but they should make enough to pay for their shooting.

Now granted, most hunters using production rifle are not going to be taking hunting shots at 300 or 400 yards. With most production rifles you wouldn't get the velocity and energy necessary for hunting that far. However, there's more than enough velocity and energy for long range target shooting.

I'm of the understanding that there are two in-line matches at Friendship. This one in May and one in the fall. Look at it this way, you can either learn from some knucklehead on the internet and maybe go to the range by yourself, maybe with a buddy or, attend a match and actually shoot with and learn from a whole host of other shooters willing to help.

This stuff is FUN!

I've been shoot'n the muzz for a long time but not without a rear rest. This is all new to me too and I have a lot more to learn. There will be some "crack shots" at the match. Seasoned shooters who know what they're doing. I look forward to shooting with and learning from them. Believe me, they're going to be sending me to school, but that's what its all about.

If you think about it, with the popularity of muzzleloading growing as it is, where can a shooter go to learn? There may be a lot of long range shooting schools, but they're all for centerfire shooters. The Friendship in-line match is a place where although you may have to travel, EVERYONE there will help you learn. I may be wrong, but there may be just one organization where one can buy a DVD about accurate muzzleloader shooting but, its not about how to shoot longer ranges. I even suggested to the two guys that started the in-line match, that they should video it and make it available for new prospective shooters. Someone someplace should start something like that. They may not get rich selling DVD's, but they should make enough to pay for their shooting.

Now granted, most hunters using production rifle are not going to be taking hunting shots at 300 or 400 yards. With most production rifles you wouldn't get the velocity and energy necessary for hunting that far. However, there's more than enough velocity and energy for long range target shooting.

I'm of the understanding that there are two in-line matches at Friendship. This one in May and one in the fall. Look at it this way, you can either learn from some knucklehead on the internet and maybe go to the range by yourself, maybe with a buddy or, attend a match and actually shoot with and learn from a whole host of other shooters willing to help.

This stuff is FUN!
I'm going to I think have to get well beyond the beginner stage before I'll be at a point here I'd learn much at such a match.

Everyone will be very busy and I hate pestering busy people with questions especially when I'm not really accomplished enough yet to ask intelligent questions.

At least on this forum I can plead ignorance and count on friends to answer my stupid questions at their leisure! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.