Re loading

Reloading beats the heck out of playing golf. I ask a golfing friend why he wasted so much time chasing a ball across the pasture. He said it was a way of testing and proving himself being able to hit the ball and drive it so far to make a hole in one. I ask him how many hole in ones he had made, he didn't answer. Then he ask me why I wasted all that time shooting. I told him it was away to make sure I could feed and protect my family. Start with a good reloading manual and read it at least twice underling the important parts. I have been reloading since 1972. For press I suggest the RCBS Rock crusher or the Redding. You can't go wrong with Redding dies. You will need a good scale I use Redding and weigh each load. I use a hand primer to prime the brass. Weigh and measure each case. Then research your load data, pick your starting load and start having fun.

I use a Rock Chucker Supreme with the old school balance scale. I prefer the balance scale for rifle loads. It's more accurate as long as I'm diligent in reverifying zero.

Pistol cartridges require the consistent use of the Uniflow Measure because of the volume. It's not as accurate, but it works for large volume shooting.

Nosler is my primary load reference, but I also use Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Barnes, Hodgdon, Ramshot and Berger. I also utilize proprietary info from individuals.

RCBS Rockchucker, Forester dies. Winchester brass is good for starters and works well. I also have Lapua and Norma brass that is outstanding!
headspace and bullet comparators
chronograph
Primer seating tool
case trimmer
tumbler and media
scale

The first thing you need to do is get some (not just one) reloading manuals, and read them thru. I suggest Sierra, Hornaday, Hodgdon and Nosler. That will give you an idea of how deep you want to get into this "hobby." Go to web sites like Accurateshooter.com and other precision shooting sites. Those will show you the deep end, and reference the higher quality tools. Then go to the manufacturers' web sites. Some of these will have videos usng their equipment, of course. And they all extoll the virtues of their products. There is a long, never ending, learning curve here, and the more you can learn before you buy, the easier the road will be. The first Mrs. Stirner bought me a Mec Jr for Christmas in 1969, and I've been reloading and learning ever since. And enjoying every minute of it.

Oh, I forgot to mention to be careful of videos that are not company sponsored. If a company puts their name on it, then they're willing to back it up. There are a lot of individuals out there that make videos just to make themselves feel important. Many of them are only worth what you pay to watch them!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.