re-barreling and stock finishing work?

Riflehunter1776

Hello,

can anyone suggest a good gunsmith in south eastern PA for quality rebarrel work on a bolt action?

I was planning to pick up a Kreiger or lilja barrel for a remington that is almost shot out, but my former smith has grown too old to stand in front of a machine, so he retired. If any of you guys know of someone who does careful work (not just a careless slop job that so many guys do) and actually gets the rifle back in a reasonable period of time, I'd like to hear suggestions. I'd rather not go the diy criterion remage route - great barrels but they just don't look nice. And places like ER Shaw that do gunsmithing on the premises are a lesser quality product IMO.

Also, I would like to finish a rough finished presentation grade stock. I'm looking to have details and some care put into it, not just round it off with sandpaper and dip it in truoil. So any referrals (pics?) for a quality craftsman would be great.

Last edited:
1776, does the stock refinisher need to be in Pa?
no, I don't mind sending it out for work, if the guy has a great reputation.

but I'm looking more for finish work - a little detail contouring and shaping of the grip and fore end, not just refinishing.

Stock finishing, about the best in the business is Joel Russo. He's a member of this forum. Man can build a hell of a stock! Look up some of his work.

As for gunsmith work, we have quite a few renowned gunsmiths here on the forum... JE Custom, Chase Curtis, Kirby Allen, Rhian (bigngreen), etc...

Three of the best are in York County:
Sid Goodling, Bob Green and Clarence Hammons. Google them for furlther info.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.