RCBS charge master lite inconsistency

dnb86

So I've noticed lately after warming up my scale for 45 minutes and then calibration I zero my scale with the pan on then when I pull the pan off the scale will read -80.0 to -80.1 but this morning after about only 15-20 loads being Dispensed I checked again and it read -79.2 to -79.4 but as I put the pan back on it would always return to 0.0 has anyone else had this experience

Attachments

• 2E74D145-8D27-4031-B1CF-7A85DCB2FDCB.jpeg
    2E74D145-8D27-4031-B1CF-7A85DCB2FDCB.jpeg
    732.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 718A915A-480D-4896-9A2A-7ADC802DDD3B.jpeg
    718A915A-480D-4896-9A2A-7ADC802DDD3B.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 38
I have two 1500s.

Do you have it sitting on an anti-static dryer sheet? Reduced electrical interference nearby such as a TV, tablet or phone? Area fan turned off while loading?

Do you have an issue with dirty power? If you're in town it's not likely an issue but for some a ways out of town it can be an issue. I run mine through a battery back up with surge protection. It won't clean up dirty power but certainly offers some protection as I leave mine turned on for weeks at a time.

I check mine routinely and calibrate every time I load a batch just to be safe. Rarely have a drift issue.

I have two 1500s.

Do you have it sitting on an anti-static dryer sheet? Reduced electrical interference nearby such as a TV, tablet or phone? Area fan turned off while loading?

Do you have an issue with dirty power? If you're in town it's not likely an issue but for some a ways out of town it can be an issue. I run mine through a battery back up with surge protection. It won't clean up dirty power but certainly offers some protection as I leave mine turned on for weeks at a time.

I check mine routinely and calibrate every time I load a batch just to be safe. Rarely have a drift issue.
Not sitting on a anti static dryer sheet but no fans no tv and my cell phone is usually in my pocket or on my top shelf of my bench which is probably 4-5 feet away from the scale and for this test my phone was in the house

I gave up on Chargemasters for that exact reason. Had enough of them to know it's not "just a bad one" type of deal.

Cell phones, dirty power, florescent lights, all seem to cause issues. Even after changing to LED lighting and keeping my phone away still was seeing drift. If you double check every charge on a accurate beam scale or a better quality digital scale it becomes quite apparent. I think it's just the nature of cheaper strain gauge type scales from what I have seen.

I don't have a Lite but the phenomena you describe appears to be calibration drift if the scale has auto zero like the 1500. Calibration drift is usually not an issue after the scale warms up unless the ambient temperature in the room is changing. If the scale doesn't have auto zero then something else is going on. Is this happening on battery power or house power?

Since the scale has no auto zero indication and the instructions do not mention it, the check is to drop a few kernels of powder to cause the scale to indicate a small .1 to .2 grain weight. If the scale has auto zero you will see it zero itself with weight in the pan.

You need to make sure there is no powder under the platen or binding the platen stem.

I ran into similar issue with lite. Would throw several @ 75.3 then go all over the place from 74.9 to 75.6. Would zero and recalibrate. Set the pan on, zero would stable at -.02. Solved problem with creedmore sports scale and dandy trickler

I've had mine give off screwy readings. I removed the black base that holds the pan and found a grain of powder wedged in between the base providing friction that would throw it off. Removed it with a dental tool and it fixed it instantly.

Sounds like the calibration was corrupt. Do you have check weights? If so how do they do?
If this continues you either have a damaged strain gauge or a glitch in the software.
A strain gauge can be damaged by dropping something on the pan, knocking pan sideways or even turning balance upside down.
I use a Gen 6 and have not had any of those issues. Good luck.

This is why I use my CM lite to drop a tenth under, dump it on my balance beam scale and trickle up. Much more accurate that way and super consistent. It's just an electronic powder thrower now but is a huge time saver. By the time I trickle up on the beam scale and seat the bullet the next load is ready on the CM.