Rate of twist/fitting bullet weight

terjeness

A friend of mine has a Browing in in 7mm-08, and wonders how heavy of a bullet he can shoot with a 1:9.5 twist and keep it stable? Anybody that knows?

I have a 1:9.25 twist 7mm-08 and I can stabilize the 162 grain A-Max if I keep the velocity high enough.

My understanding of this is that he should be giving more weight (pun intended) to the length of the bullet. For example, a given twist could be better for a solid than a lead core, even though the weights are the same.

Last edited:
I've had no trouble stabilising the 175gr Core-Lokt in 2 rifles but these bullets are not overly long for their weight, which sometimes seems to influence stability.
Select the desired bullet, load a few and try them.

The 1 in 9.5 twist should handle everything up to 175 with no problems 180s may be marginal
and could use a 1 in 9 or 1 in 8.5 twist.

The 7/08 is at its best with 120, 130 and 150 grain bullets because of velocity potential
(They will shoot heaver bullets very well but may not perform on game at lower velocities).

J E CUSTOM

A hearty "thank you!" to all your constructive responses! It is very good to be able to use this easy vehicle of sharing helpful info. I'm looking up the ballistics and stability data in Brian Litz's book and you all make sense.
My friend - as I have - will benefit from your help,
terjeness

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.