Ranging groundhogs and other small animals

Thank you for all the replies.

That was a very interesting video. I am going to have see how a rangefinder is functioning like he showed. Plus, I am going to have find out what the beam divergence is for my rangefinder.

Jason

I've been using a G7 BR2 for 6 years. I carefully test and refine my data inputs and have made numerous first shot hits on marmots out to 1402 yards. Many similar hits on prairie dogs out to the 1K plus range. I've had really good success with this range finder giving good reads out to a mile, but there are times I range several times looking for consistent readings and have resorted to ranging an adjacent bush or rock when all else fails. It's not perfect but far and away the best I've ever used.

I also uhsve been using the Gunwerks G7 for several years and have had excellent results ranging objects(dirt mounds, ground, bushes, rocks,etc) close to PD's, groundhogs, and crows at ranges to +700 yards. Longest first round shot on a prairie dog was 988 yards. A feature that is very fast to operate, makes a big difference with the G7 is the Tru-Targeting capability, basically a fingertip controlled near/far filter that enables you to discern interferences in the foreground or background of the game or object being ranged. My Terrapin(original) which also has a filtering capability also works very well with the small critters.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.