Range Rod vs Gritters Rod

Clay Target Guy

Which do you use to indicate a new barrel and why?
I have range rods but had them long before the Gritters rods came out.
I am wondering which do a better job.

Thanks
John

I'm a total amateur but I've had good results with the Gritter's rods. It just comes down to getting the barrel dialed in properly. With the Gordy rods you can vary the depth in the barrel to get it dialed in where the throat of the chamber will be and the very end of the chamber. I can't say one way is better than the other.

Some dial them in with long reach indicators actually running in the bore and hopping over the rifling. Some simply use gauge pins of the proper diameter inserted in the bore. There's really a lot of different ways people use but getting the bore dialed in is the most important aspect of chambering a barrel and crowning the muzzle end.

I went with Grizzly/Gritters rods because I'd heard from many that they were unable to get repeatability out of them.
Remove, reinsert- and get different indicator readings.

The Grizzly rods work great- but you need to ensure a snug fitting pilot for best results. When I've had an oddball bore size, I hang a light weight on the rod behind the breech which ensures it rides on the bottom lands. I'll usually direct dial with an indicator to double-check the rod and tweak if needed.

Thanks,
I was leaning towards the Gritter rods because I believe that where the bullets start should be as square as possible. I know I can not get to that point with the range rod set up

I learned with range rods and have stuck with them since the results have been good. I use to make my own but got a good deal on a set.

the taper will stop you before you get that deep on some round unless you counter sink/bore to be at that point
This is generally where the debate about piloted reamers in a floating reamer holder following the bore, regardless of "perfect" centering, begins :)

I know, I was a tool and die maker long time ago.
I read everything I can on the subject of barrel installation and chambering. Never too old to learn a new trick you know.
I have my own thoughts about all this but keep a lot of it to myself due to not having a flame suit due to a lot of the fallout I would get

I hear you about the flame suit. I've been flamed many times over process, equipment and my lack of experience in this field but the proof is in the groups on paper. Regardless of how you do it, you will gain knowledge and get better each time. Once you do one you'll be eager to do another.

I have done more than several, but always looking to improve.
Kinda like BBQ, I do a lot of smoking of pork, brisket, sausage, turkey and chicken. I have cooked for more than 400 people several times. I still am open and looking to improve.
You think chambering a barrel gets lots of comments, you have not seen anything til you start on BBQ.........LOL

It's like everything else, everyone has their own opinion and likes and dislikes. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same thing. I got into doing this mainly to see if I could and like you I've read tons of articles and even watched a lot of YouTube videos. I did align my lathe prior to starting. Tailstock to headstock and I keep adjusting the barrel in the chuck and the rear spider until I get it perfect. I don't think there's much more you can do on a manual machine (not CNC). I also think a big part of it is acclimating the barrel prior to starting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.