Range Day

flintstone

Sorry, no pics. I don't want to display my awful groups.

Anyway, I took my Savage 10, .308, 18" barreled rifle to the range today. It has an Arken 4-14 scope on it and a procomp muzzle brake. First thing is, Man is it LOUD! I guess it doesn't matter what you put on the end of it by way of brakes, it is gonna be LOUD.

While I didn't notice this during firing, the scope was slipping in the rings due to recoil. I tightened the Burris rings to 20" pounds. When I got home, I could tell the scope slipped through the rings and was off. No wonder I was getting really crazy groups. So today was a bust. I don't know what to do about it as the recommended torque is 20" pounds. I don't want to crush the main tube or put it under too much force, but what do I do?

Thanks to all who read and thanks to those who reply!

Flintstone

I tighten to 20" lbs, even 18" sometimes and never had an issue. Maybe try cleaning the scope tube real good with some alcohol, the rings as well.

Sorry, no pics. I don't want to display my awful groups.

Anyway, I took my Savage 10, .308, 18" barreled rifle to the range today. It has an Arken 4-14 scope on it and a procomp muzzle brake. First thing is, Man is it LOUD! I guess it doesn't matter what you put on the end of it by way of brakes, it is gonna be LOUD.

While I didn't notice this during firing, the scope was slipping in the rings due to recoil. I tightened the Burris rings to 20" pounds. When I got home, I could tell the scope slipped through the rings and was off. No wonder I was getting really crazy groups. So today was a bust. I don't know what to do about it as the recommended torque is 20" pounds. I don't want to crush the main tube or put it under too much force, but what do I do?

Thanks to all who read and thanks to those who reply!

Flintstone
Hard to believe the scope is sliding on a little gun like that with a brake on it. Who,s rings?

I use a little dab of blue lick tite on the top and bottom of the ring saddle after degreasing the scope tube and rings. I only do this to heavy recoiling rifles, my last setup was a 40 oz. weaver tactical on a 338 lapua. The lock tite will come off with a little alcohol and a rag.
I have never had the scope slip on that rifle doing this.

Last edited:
I use a little dab of blue lick tite on the top and bottom of the ring saddle after degreasing the scope tube and rings. I only do this to heavy recoiling rifles, my last setup was a 40 oz. weaver tactical on a 338 lapua. The lock tite will one off with a little alcohol and a rag.
I have never had the scope slip on that rifle.
Just took a note on that one. Good idea.

...the scope was slipping in the rings due to recoil. I tightened the Burris rings to 20" pounds...I don't know what to do about it as the recommended torque is 20" pounds...
Contact Burris to get a replacement set under warranty.

No "tips/tricks/loctite/etc" are a solution for faulty. There is no reputable scope ring on the market that will let a scope slide at 20 inlbs when it is working correctly on a 308. Or 338 Lapua for that matter.

Unless you did something wrong you didn't mention, something is faulty. Proceeding with faulty stuff will break other stuff.

Burris will make it right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.