ATN day scopes

[ QUOTE ]
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT SAIS ATN!!!! Run dont walk to another brand..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... what he said.

I looked at one on a customers rifle and laughed - it was not blued or anodized... it was finished in black crackle paint. a true ***!

[ QUOTE ]
it was not blued or anodized... it was finished in black crackle paint. a true ***!

[/ QUOTE ] Paint is actually better for MIL-SPEC scopes as it does not reflect IR light (Anodising DOES and Bluing CAN)

But ATN scopes are seriously not worth the money - there's better stuff on offer, cheaper, from China.

Cant say I like Nightforce much (before anybody starts - I have NO objective reason for this) maybe I just need more time with one. IOR good glass.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was not blued or anodized... it was finished in black crackle paint. a true ***!

[/ QUOTE ] Paint is actually better for MIL-SPEC scopes as it does not reflect IR light (Anodising DOES and Bluing CAN)

But ATN scopes are seriously not worth the money - there's better stuff on offer, cheaper, from China.

Cant say I like Nightforce much (before anybody starts - I have NO objective reason for this) maybe I just need more time with one. IOR good glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

The scope that I saw was shinier than a matt finished Leupold or Nikon - the crinkle was a "wrinkled" gloss paint, not a camo type paint like that which is put on mil scopes.

Yup - sounds like POSP type mil-spec paint. Like Hammerite for those of UK raising. IOR use BLACK paint (2 coats apparently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) - Doesn't need to be ROBAR or Cerakote.

Still, shine IR light on it and with NV kit it'll just be DULL or maybe black. Do the same with (say) a PM2 and it shines like burnished silver.

[ QUOTE ]
Still, shine IR light on it and with NV kit it'll just be DULL or maybe black. Do the same with (say) a PM2 and it shines like burnished silver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,
Is this a factor only if the viewer is using an active system rather than passive II?
Matt

I've seen this with simple GEN1 but it is much more visible with a GEN2+ - even using ambient light . Shine an IR torch at it and it's real obvious. I'll TRY to photo but god knows how I'm going to attach my camera to my monocular - obviously at DISTANCE it gets less visible - but using an XD4 set up my guess is that it shouts a bit.

Chris.- which paint or finishing will avoid that silver shining on an anodized scope?? just curious.- will it work with any of the usual cammo finishes ?

Any paint that will block light reaching the metal. It's a shame that the weather doest really suit spraying water based paint - Or I'd try the KG aircure on something (not the S&B) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.