RAMSHOT LRT POWDER

I got some LRT to try out. Bought an straight factory Howa 1500 in 300 PRC. 24" Thin, factory barrel. Running Suppressed, with 205 Bergers

Started with N570, groups were sub MOA, but velocity was around 2940. SD was around 16. I wanted to try and get more velocity. Ordered some LRT and started load development.

Ran it up to 92.5 grains and had slight ejector mark. Group was sub MOA and around 3020 FPS. Tried 93 grains, got it up to 3070 FPS and group tightened up to Sub 1/2" with an SD of 12. No heavy bolt lift, same slight ejector mark. Primers were fine

I was pretty pleased with the results out of a factory 24" Howa barrel and the LRT

Your experience may be valid with R26 but only in high temps. RL26 is not a temperature insensitive powder. I have seen it go absolutely ape **** above 90 degrees and I don't doubt for a second it may be faster than H1000 over 90 degrees as H1000 is a Hodgdon extreme powder and is temp insensitive. But at some boundary condition of say 70 degrees or less, you will find R26 is in fact a slower powder than H1000.

That chart represents the starting values for Burn Rate Ba in Quickload expressed in the inverse of BARS as the unit of measure. That is a metric measure for pressure instead of Psig. Its just how the program is engineered as it comes from Germany.

All of these starting values for Ba or burn rate in QL are used as the starting place to generate a burn rate curve which they call a Vivacity Curve, a curve which shows the vital force of the powder as it burns, and it is a function of the amount of powder burned already or still unburned. That means it takes into account in the explosive reaction the density and shape of the powder granules, and how fast they are consumed in the explosion. This curve generated in the program is used to calculate the reaction/explosion characteristics in the pressure bomb---ie the brass cartridge with known volume. Its all PVT pressure, volume, temperature reaction Boyle's Law.

Yes, these starting values of the Ba burn rate in QL are accurate for the rankings of powder by burn rate, at the same normal temperature they were derived.

If you get above some temperature like 90 degrees with powders that are not chemically altered to be insensitive, then yes these relationships can go out the window. I have had it happen to me with N560 and RL 26 on a 100 degree day in Texas.

Velocities over 3400 for a 250 gr bullet with RL26 is scary stuff, when its normally only 3250 or so in MIchigan.

Bad JUJU.........so rankem in regular weather, and adjust and back off in really hot weather.
Well written and well said. Just yesterday in Georgia I shot in both Light Class (300 PRC with Hornady 250grA-Tip and H1000) and Heavy class (375 Cheytac & 427 MTAC by Cutting Edge using H50BMG).
Previously in Kansas 98 degree weather 300 PRC running 2810 and in GA Jan 14th at 35 degree speed dropped to2755 with same bullet and same charge of 75.8grs H1000.
The375 Cheytac dropped from 3001 fps in 95 degree weather to 2948/2950/2952 fps using the same 427gr MTAC and 141grs if H50BMG. Also the Alliant Reloder 50 dropped the same amount fps from 2996 to 2948 in 375 Cheytac in the same weather temps..I was hoping the R50 would be less sensitive but was not to be for me.
I did have good luck with test results using Ramshot LRT In my 33XC and 300 gr Hornady A-Tips..I have found very different burn rate charts as to where it sits regarding LRT.It gets confusing.

Last edited:
Here's a ranked Ba chart that I use which I believe is better and more useful than using the picture charts. It uses the initial BA starting value from Quickload.

You're gonna see LRT is a very slow powder. Maybe slower than you thought.

H4831 SC
0.4301​
IMR 7828 SSC
0.3841​
RL25
0.384​
N560
0.371​
H1000
0.366​
Ramshot Mag
0.345​
RL26
0.3397​
Acc Magpro
0.3342​
Retumbo
0.337​
N565
0.3109​
IMR8133
0.3​
N568
0.3​
Ramshot LRT
0.285​
N570
0.277​
RL33
0.267​

Has anyone had a chance to try this yet? It seems to be a high energy, high density powder that may have some good possibilities for the Sherman and other cases. I wonder how the temp stability is?....rich
I used it in my 6.5prc and was very happy, was so so in my 300 Win because of the short mag box, short chamber so ,like I said was so, so, in my 300 prc it would really shine and still does and love the fact that you can pocket about 150.00 per 8 # er over the other powders. I did notice though that some barrels if on the over size in dia. but still in specks seem to powder foul more than tight bores, Pete

Good Double-Base Powders. 1fps per degree fanrenheit
Average Single Base Powder: 0.3-05 fps per degree fahrenheit
Best Single Base Powder: 0.1-0.2 fps per degree fahrenheit.
So you 63 degree change in tem, and a change of 55fps with H1000.
Ramshot is a double based powder.
I am surprised that the H1000 had that much change. At the same time there isn't anything on how much H1000 changes, except what is posted above.
Now I don't know anything about the 300prc or the other 2 mention.
Burn rates are a different story. Slow burning powers don't go hand in hand with changes in temperature either. Single or double base powder reacts differently. There are some double based powder that don't react or less problems with temperatures.
It would be nice that was a chart showing how each powder react to temp. There is on burn rates, and it's adjusted from time to time. That a good thing.
I like the info on H1000 powders. I haven't used any yet, but I have a pound to try out with my long barreled rifle.

Here's a ranked Ba chart that I use which I believe is better and more useful than using the picture charts. It uses the initial BA starting value from Quickload.

You're gonna see LRT is a very slow powder. Maybe slower than you thought.

H4831 SC
0.4301​
IMR 7828 SSC
0.3841​
RL25
0.384​
N560
0.371​
H1000
0.366​
Ramshot Mag
0.345​
RL26
0.3397​
Acc Magpro
0.3342​
Retumbo
0.337​
N565
0.3109​
IMR8133
0.3​
N568
0.3​
Ramshot LRT
0.285​
N570
0.277​
RL33
0.267​
I about to the point whereI dont beleive any powder burn rate charts.I can show 5 that are all so far off from each other & different. And when asked Ranshot all they can say is its aboutb the sameas Retumbo.. Then Nosler has it way off.Or who knows..Nosler could be correct an the others wrong.How can I say?.

What I found is that LRT is very useable in a wide variety of cartridges. I have used it in a 6.5x284 up to a 28 nosler so far, with pretty good results. I haven't tested temp stability, but I like how broad of a scope it covers. Because of that (and the politics of our country that sometimes make it hard to find powder....) I will always have some on hand.

What I found is that LRT is very useable in a wide variety of cartridges. I have used it in a 6.5x284 up to a 28 nosler so far, with pretty good results. I haven't tested temp stability, but I like how broad of a scope it covers. Because of that (and the politics of our country that sometimes make it hard to find powder....) I will always have some on hand.
This!
I have used it in .264 WinMag up to .375 Snipetac with good results. I'm currently running it with a mild load in my 33XC pushing 300 grain Bergers right at 3k fps. Just got a .300 Norma barrel that swaps out on the same rifle and when I start loading for it I'll try LRT.

Has Anyone tried LRT in a 338 Lapua?
Just wondering as i am Looking to Develop a good Long range load

Thanks for any info...

Has Anyone tried LRT in a 338 Lapua?
Just wondering as i am Looking to Develop a good Long range load

Thanks for any info...

Not in the Lapua, but i'm running it in .338RUM. 101grns behind a 285ELD w/215M yields 2960fps with an SD of 8fps.

I started @ 90grns & worked up in 1gr increments. No pressure signs @ 101 but the case is as full as I care for it to be.

t

I haven't in Lapua but in a .338 Norma AI version pushing 300 Grain bullets. Good results, not sure on temp stability yet though

Same here. I'm trying to devise a simple yet accurate test. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that stuff. Perhaps a cooler full of ice or something... I think i've done more procrastinating that actual thought at this point.

t

Thank you for the reply Outlaw. I am considering working up a load
using so Hammers and Think the LRT may be might be a Good powder
to try.
Not gonna do much Until the wearher warms up a Little tho.
thanks again,
Fed-Well :)