Ramshot biggame and hunter

oldfamily

Just wondering if anyone is using these powders, I use Magnum for my stw, just have not heard if people using these powders were getting good results. I am ordering varget and thought that I might order couple lbs each to try. Would be loading for 308,243,22-250, ect. Thanks Oldfamily.

Powders

In my 300 Win Mag I use Ramshot Mag. That gun shoots great with a combo of Ramshot and 168 VLD's. My 25/06 favors IMR 4350. I'm searching hard for a powder for my 270 WSM.
Good luck

tscott

I know a couple of guys that load for the 270wsm, they have had the best results with Magpro, you might give it a try.

Oldfamily,
I just recently bought a lb of Hunter and have only tried it once in my .270WSM with the 135gn SMK. I loaded 61.0/61.5/62.0gns of powder. I was not impressed with the accuracy of these loads (1.2/1.18/1.2", respectively). I will, however, try it again in something else, maybe my .243. I see it listed in the new Nosler #6 for 85gn and above bullet weights. Below 85gn they used Big Game. I'm getting good accuracy with 85gn HP's in my .243 from IMR4831 and CCI BR2''s.

tscott,
I've gotten the best accuracy (.347") from my .270WSM (so far) using RL22 and 130gn NBT's. H4831SC ran .7" same bullet. I used IMR and H4350 with the 135gn SMK and accuracy was .6-.7". Using the 140gn NBT tried RL22 = .8" and Retumbo = .7". Mine seems to like the 130gn with slow powder. Will try heavier pills with faster powder! JohnnyK.

I use Ramshot Hunter in my 30-06/180gr, three 300WSMs and 7MM-08/160gr. Excellent accuracy and velocity.

I use BigGame in my 9.3x62/286gr, 7MM-08/140gr and 30-06/150gr. Again, excellent accuracy and velocity.

I like Ramshot powders, I like them a lot.

I use Big Game in my 22-250AI and it is the best!!! I use 40.3 gr. with a 55 gr. NBT. I have heard that Hunter works very well with the 60 gr. NBT in the 22.250. Will have to try it.

Ramshot

I have 8lbs of DP85, which is supposed to be the same as hunter. They even advise using Hunter data.

Haven't had much luck with it in 06 or 22-250. It does ok, but not nearly as good as many of my favorite stick powders in those rounds. I'll probably tinker with it more when I get time. Couldn't pass up the good deal PV had on it at the time.

Good Luck

Reloader

I have 8lbs of DP85, which is supposed to be the same as hunter. They even advise using Hunter data.

Reloader

I also have a jug of DP 85. I also have a couple of 8 ponders of Hunter. I can tell you for a fact that DP 85 and Hunter are NOT the same powder. The only similarities are load data and ball type. I have tested DP 85 side by side against Hunter and they are not even close, not in velocity and not in accuracy.

After I purchased DP 85 I called Accurate and asked if it was indeed Hunter with a different name. I was told absolutely not, DP 85 and Hunter are not the same powder, but you can use Hunter data for loading with DP85. So far I have not found a home for my DP 85, but Hunter will always have a place on my bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.