Quickload help 6.5wsm

On the flip side of this NECO the distributor of Quickload in the U.S. went around to all the forums saying answering Quickload questions in forums was breaking copyright laws.

This turned off many reloaders with NECO's lies and Quickload software in general. I have Quickload and it gives good ballpark information "BUT" it is no substitution for time at the range. And most important of all if you do not have a chronograph you are wasting your money buying Quickload.
Yup, NECO is their own worst enemy. The author of Quickload is not NECO. There have been many examples in all industries where the US representative or importer made a poor job of marketing and servicing a good product from over seas.
And jfseaman if a bullet manufacture can't afford proper chamber pressure measuring equipment I wouldn't buy their bullets. And I find it hard to believe that any bullet manufacture would use Quickload for chamber pressure guesstimates for loading data for the people who buy their bullets.
Ha ha. You are doing that start an argument thing again. Well your a newby so that's OK.

This newbie is 67 years old and has been reloading for over 47 years. So your comeback on being wrong about Quickload is based on a persons post count. Well done, very impressive.

Both my computers I built are running Mint Linux and Quickload isn't even installed, and I don't miss it. And since California is voting on seceding from the Union many of us will not miss you either.

Bullet manufactures using Quickload for their loading information..........yeah right!

W6o4Sqo.jpg

Typical bigedp51.

Didn't really read just reacted and needs to be superior and insulting.

California voting to secede from the Union. Yeah right!

W6o4Sqo.jpg

QuickLoad is better than books -because it can be calibrated.
Even strain gage measuring is based on test barrels for valid information. And without this it still takes calibrated QuickLoad to convert pressures to muzzle velocities.
So we don't use test barrels, but we have chronographs. Much can be reverse engineered with that, and QL certainly helps there.

It's a lot like calculating BCs without radar, but with multiple chronographs, atmospheric measure, and sound math. Who cares what bullet makers test with, if at all. WE are the folks who make bullets do what they do.
WE LEAD

Your right, you need a chronograph to get ball park data by altering the burn rate in Quickload. Meaning Quickload needs to be tweaked and adjusted with a chronographs velocity readings.

And even if we wanted to we couldn't give the OP accurate information to his Quickload question.

And the manuals are also correct in telling you to make workup loads starting low and working up.

And Quickloads conversion of chronograph velocity to chamber pressure is a computer generated guesstimate.

Without a chronograph, using basic data, Quickload can get you as close as published loads. Quickload can be used to double or triple check published loads. If there are no published loads, Quickload can get you a safe starting point.

Once you have a fired case, you can measure H2O capacity and do the first and most important tweak, case capacity. This makes Quickload closer than book because it's your data.

@bigedp51 do you actually use Quickload or do you just make statements about it.

I use it and extensively. I match it with multiple chronographs and Pressure Trace II. Of course we all know that you make statements about PT II not being "calibrated".

When all the numbers and data match up sub %1 then I think it's calibrated enough.

I agree with jfseaman, and would love it if California went away.
I also believe that QL should NOT be used for remote predictions.
Yes, there is always the golden rule; start low, work up.
But if somebody wants QL predictions, which are better local predictions(than manuals) they should buy it, and learn how to use it for better -locally. Like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Or find a reloading forum where their Quickload questions will be answered. :eek:

QuickLoad questions thread..
https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30761&sid=5daa603f86287a517380f9049db51acc

In the reloading forum above if the correct information is given your Quickload questions will be answered. "BUT" just remember the answers will be "ballpark" computer generated guesstimates and do not take the place of workup loads.
Told me I was wrong about a bullet maker using Quickload. Quotes a bullet maker using Quickload.

Um, yeah. Friendly fellow this @bigedp51

I agree that QuickLoad is a very good program. Powder burn rate has to be adjusted with chronograph data because every batch of powder is slightly different. The manufacturers say it can be up to 10% different, the reason they suggest starting with a 10% reduced load and working back up when changing powder lots. And yes, QuickLoad results with generic data is as good as published load data. It will not tell you where to expect a node, but it will provide enough information to pick a safe starting load to work up from. As you get more data to supply to QuickLoad, the information it provides you will get more precise. We all know that nothing will replace actually working up a load. Some may not think QuickLoad is worth the money, but in the Berger Reloading Manual, Bryan Litz states that "every serious reloader should have a copy of QuickLoad".

BTW, I didn't buy it to support Neco. I bought it for my personal use and satisfaction. Neco does not own the output. I will sometimes provide data to those who request it. After about the 3 or fourth load information request, I will politely request they purchase their own copy. If/When Neco tries to intimidate me I just chuckle and forget about it. As always, knowledge trumps disinformation.

If California does secede (and I hope it does), can it annex New York and New Jersey? Once it has seceded, lets see how the government provided health care works out there!

I use a Oehler 43 PBL with QL and if data is properly submitted the results mirror each other. In fact, I almost always now just use my Oehler 35 chrono because I get the same results and only use the 43 when doing a wildcat or testing a new powder with no load data.

dsculley
I don't want California or any other state to leave the union, "BUT" I do hope jfseaman lives on the west side of the San Andreas Fault. And when the next earthquake hits California his side slides into the Pacific Ocean. :rolleyes:

Signed
Attila the Hun AKA bigedp51
Milpitas California, 1954/1964 (east side of San Andreas Fault) :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.