QuickLoad Analysis Please? .223, 55gr bullet, 20gr Alliant 2400, 16" Barrel

That's about like what you get when you stick a round in the mud and touch it off with a bb gun. Don't ask me how I know. Let's just say it was a dumb idea and it hurt. Glad you're safe OP. How you mistook 2400 for 4895 I don't know but I'm going to assume "didn't actually check" is annoyingly glib, sort of obvious and totally unhelpful.

Purchased the 4895 2 weeks ago. Using it for the 2nd time. Never used it before.
This calamity came together largely as the result of loading some 357Mag loads with two different powders and some 223 with two different powders. On top of that, three different bullets in the 357 and two different bullets in the 223. And lastly, one powder I'd never used in 40yrs of reloading (4895), so the lack of visual recognition.

In retrospect, too many variables in play during the reloading session.

With the action still locked up, I initially probed the bore with a cleaning rod to confirm a bullet left the muzzle.

It took 10-15 minutes to free the bolt and bolt carrier from the upper. I was beginning to think excess pressure, especially when with bolt removed, the case head was still stuck tight in the bolt face recess.

With the case freed from the bolt face, and recognizing the excess pressure incurred, it took 2-3 minutes of brainstorming to ID the cause.

Fortunately, the 223 case is small in diameter, which reduces the force against the bolt face compared to larger cases at equal pressure. Same inside the chamber. The smaller the diameter the case, the less force and strain created, compared to larger diameter cases at equal operating pressure.

Rifle is fine. Had this pressure been created in a RUM, might have damaged both the firearm and me.

You probably reached max pressure right after the primer went off and it got worse from there:D:D And you are the most careful guy that I know! Glad you aren't looking like a unicorn:eek:

Thanks Rich. Good thing it was the .223. Small cartridge = tougher to blow yourself up. One thing's certain... I now know exactly - with great mental clarity - what H4895 look's like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.