• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Quick Field Review Of My New Garmin Zero C1 Chronograph

Veteran

Yes, everyone is selling their Lab Radars because the new Garmin Chrono is coming to market.

I never had a lab radar, so nothing to sell. I had to have a new chrono, because wind blew mine over down in Texas and it landed too hard and self destructed.

I love the ease of setting this thing up. Its just place it next to where I am shooting on the bench table. Easy as pie.
The menu is also simple intuitive and easy as pie.

Only 2 things I don't like so far.

1) You cannot set it to take velocities down range like the lab radar can, so it will not be of any real service in truing your ballistic
coefficient if you are shooting really long range. You only get Muzzle velocity and that is it.

2) The shotview APP will not work on older Androids. So my Note 8 did not accept Shotview. Thankfully, I had a newer google phone for a project I am working on that did. However, the big issue I see with Shotview is you cannot seemingly sync the Chrono to your phone and the APP until you finish shooting a session. Its doesn't seem to have connectivity real time with the shotview app during the shooting session? I may be wrong about this, and if so, someone please correct me, but I looked over the owners manual,
and the marketing materials, and the marketing materials plainly state "After" a session it syncs. Not during........This is somewhat disappointing compared to the bluetooth real time data I used to get from my phone during the session on the Competition Electronics Pro Deluxe APP Chrono.

But, I so love the ease of use, and ease of set up, and not having to be out in front of the shooting line, and the fact it only seems to pick up my shots, as opposed to others. And it doesn't need a trigger, or other gear. Except for my comments above, its a winner.
It aint cheap though......

One other thing I noted: Batteries are internal built in and lithium

So, I don't know if transport on an airline is an issue?

But, I do appreciate that I wont have to worry about 9V batteries on a cold day anymore.
I shot 5-6 hrs today and still had a 58% charge on the battery.

Now, over time, will this be an issue on longevity of the device? Can batteries be replaced at the factory or do you have to buy a new device? Don't know.

Crazy, but I saw these available for pre order at Midway, was at my local archery shop to sight in my bow, and they had 4 of these sitting at the register for sale.

They liked it for measuring arrow velocity too.

It has seperate settings for bow, pistol, and rifle etc. Sort of tells it what range of velocity its looking for.

Thanks for your review. Very informative. My CED Millenium still works, though it is a hassle to set up. I hope Garmin is listening and provides updates as to my limited knowledge, it can all be solved with software updates.
Cheers

Okay, couple of quick questions

1) Is there an external input for a trigger to prevent errant data on crowded ranges?

2) What is the biggest advantage if you cannot true your ballistic data with downrange velocities?

Veteran, thanks for review. This is a very tempting item for me. Sounds like setup is so simple and size is wonderful.

Friend has LabRadar and most of my shooting, load development is over it. Very good Chrono itself but size is a little un-handy and having it on tripod rather than bench is more cumbersome.

Portability of Garmin is definitively a positive!!

Thanks for your review. Very informative. My CED Millenium still works, though it is a hassle to set up. I hope Garmin is listening and provides updates as to my limited knowledge, it can all be solved with software updates.
Cheers
One other thing to note: The device tethers to your PC and exports data to your phone over bluetooth.

There is no SD card. I exported my shot sessions into Shotview App over bluetooth and from there into excel spreadsheet out of Shotview into text or email sharing.

Okay, couple of quick questions

1) Is there an external input for a trigger to prevent errant data on crowded ranges?

2) What is the biggest advantage if you cannot true your ballistic data with downrange velocities?
Darryle,

So, far from everything I hear, see, and saw in youtube video reviews and tests, the device is pretty darn insensitive to other peoples shots up and down the range line. I dont know if thats by some software that tells it if that shot originated at a point more than 18 inches from its GPS position to disregard it or what, but it just does not seem to care about or record anything but your own shots. You position it 5 to 15 inches back of your muzzle and 5 to 15 inches to either side of your rifle.

The biggest advantage is it fits in your pocket, and is so blamed easy to set up and use.

If you need downrange velocities actually measured to true ballistic coeff, better stay w lab radar, or borrow a lab radar for that 1 function when needed.

Maybe Garmin can add that function later, but is not there now.

Veteran, thank you sir. The range I primarily use is private, but can get quite crowded at times and the errant data was my biggest concern.

I will keep my eye on this unit. I have everything for the LR in the HF hard case, well except for the small tripod I bought for it, so it is not that cumbersome for me.

Recent Posts