Question for RL-22 in magnum shooters

royinidaho

Having some funny experiences "I think".

Shooting a 338 Win with 75 gr RL-22 behind Sierra 250gr gamekings and FED-215 primers. Velocity is right at 2800 fps. SD is good. COL is 3.35". Pressures "appear" a lot lower than 74 grains of RL-22 and the 225 gr bullets.

The symptom appears in the muzzle blast. When groups are good (less than inch at 200) there is a "certain" muzzle blast. When groups go to pot muzzle blast sends the chrony reflectors like scattered quail. No kidden! Muzzle blast can be seen in the tree branches/leaves about 30 feet away.

Saturday after I got the dies set up 3 3-shot groups averaged <0.6". Velocity spread was tight. Then things went to pot. Muzzle blast blew the plastic reflectors every shot for the next 3 groups. Velocity spread was still good. Groups opened to 4 or 5 inches.

Great powder..shoot it in a 6mm/284, great groups with just about everything else I use it in..only drawback..it's dirty, really makes a mess with all the residue it leaves behind, at least in my bores...just switch over to "H-4350" and end most of the problems..I've found the the "H" versions shoots better in all my magnum rifles..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.