Question for Lefty’s

VTbluegrass

Short summary, I am medically a left hand shooter for all but chip shots. Vision is there but nerve damage make precision aiming or tracking a flying target wonky.
Shotguns I just switched to OU and it works.
Sold all but one bolt gun that will never leave. The other guns were on the bubble anyway, all sporter style guns.
In looking at the next rifle I have started playing with vertical grips stocks both "traditional" and chassis. I have noticed running a right hand bolt while shooting left handed is easier with that style stock that a sporter stock. Anyone else feel that way. Only considering due limited availability of lefty rifles. Yes I know a Zermatt and prefit is probably how to do that but it's a lot of investment when I have never tried one. Might carry it afield one time and say no. Probably looking at a purchase in the next year when I am down to only one daycare payment.
I like the Sig Cross and the price but no lefty.

What is your question?

I'm a lefty shooter. I prefer left bolt vs right bolt regardless of stock configuration on a rifle. I do shoot Remington XP-100's and that's one gun I do like a right bolt on since I shoot lefty.

Short summary, I am medically a left hand shooter for all but chip shots. Vision is there but nerve damage make precision aiming or tracking a flying target wonky.
Shotguns I just switched to OU and it works.
Sold all but one bolt gun that will never leave. The other guns were on the bubble anyway, all sporter style guns.
In looking at the next rifle I have started playing with vertical grips stocks both "traditional" and chassis. I have noticed running a right hand bolt while shooting left handed is easier with that style stock that a sporter stock. Anyone else feel that way. Only considering due limited availability of lefty rifles. Yes I know a Zermatt and prefit is probably how to do that but it's a lot of investment when I have never tried one. Might carry it afield one time and say no. Probably looking at a purchase in the next year when I am down to only one daycare payment.
I like the Sig Cross and the price but no lefty.
Being a right handed ,but left eye dominant shooter I can see how the verticle grip would get your left hand out of the way when you work the bolt.

What is your question?

I'm a lefty shooter. I prefer left bolt vs right bolt regardless of stock configuration on a rifle. I do shoot Remington XP-100's and that's one gun I do like a right bolt on since I shoot lefty.
I think my question is if you are lefty but running a right hand gun does a vertical grip seem to help as LouisianaHunter pointed out by getting your hand out of the way?
With my ancient 700 ADL I have to come off the gun to run the bolt now, just playing with a Sig Cross and a Springfield Waypoint in stores the different grip seems to fix that problem, but standing at the counter and Cabela's cycling a bolt a few times probably doesn't tell the whole story.

I think my question is if you are lefty but running a right hand gun does a vertical grip seem to help as LouisianaHunter pointed out by getting your hand out of the way?
With my ancient 700 ADL I have to come off the gun to run the bolt now, just playing with a Sig Cross and a Springfield Waypoint in stores the different grip seems to fix that problem, but standing at the counter and Cabela's cycling a bolt a few times probably doesn't tell the whole story.
I see. Only time I personally would even consider a right bolt is for a dedicated bench gun. It has some benefits there.

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant so I shoot a long gun left handed.....I'm not sure I understand the question though.
Do you want to work the right hand bolt with your left hand or your right hand? I tend to do it both ways, depending on the gun.
Reach over with the left hand, or slide the right hand back. On the bench, sitting, offhand? I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

Tony

My son is a left handed shooter.
He has only one left handed rifle.
All his others are right handed.
He says he prefers the right handed guns as he can work the bolt faster and stay on target.

I'm right handed, run the bolt with my right hand, shoot left handed due to the eye issue. This past hunting season was my first full year having to do this so it's still new. Limited options in left hand guns led to the "does a vertical grip stock help the lefty when running a right handed gun?".
Before the eye issue, MS was the cause, I was working toward a Waypoint or similar rifle. Medical bills and the eye pushed that off. Now I am back on the saving train looking to purchase something 2K-ish around this time next year.

I've got a McMillan Game Scout which has a near vertical grip. I don't think it would be much more beneficial for running a bolt with the off hand. Could be somewhat as it does drop the hand a bit lower. However I think the upper part of the hand/thumb will still potentially be in the way even if the thumb isn't wrapped.