Question for browning guys

nealm66

Was recently asked to do load work up on a browning long range and had him bring it over so I could take some measurements and cycle some once fired brass. It was extremely rough cycling and I had a hard time not saying anything. I am curious if it was his lack of maintenance or if maybe the factory coating made it feel that way? He's just getting into shooting and been shooting long range targets at a friends in Montana so wouldn't surprise me if he just isn't cleaning. Anyways, not trying to dis on the browning, really like the feel and looking forward to load work on it. Was just curious if this was common

is it the one with the cerakoted bolt? those are a little sticky due to the cerakote. My LR stalker is just a polished bolt and its one of the smoothest factory actions ive felt. smoother than my tikka even id say (barely).

id wipe it off and clean the action a touch then work it a bunch. should wear in the cerakote some.

I was thinking that. I won't mess with it but I might ask about the cleaning practice just to see. He's really new to shooting and maybe hasn't noticed it

I had three of them previously. All had polished bolts. Bolts on them cycled smooth enough ( not bad). Im guessing that cerakote on bolts will make them a little less smooth cycling.

With time cerakote will get smoother, but it will never be as smooth.

hobo oil should help, that stuff could make sandpaper smooth(er)

Not sure. I'll ask but he might be shooting in the dirt. He might be single feeding, I forgot to ask. He doesn't hunt, just target. I probably shouldn't even say anything since he's really enjoying it. I might pull the bolt and just wipe things with a cloth when I go to shoot it, he's going to be there so maybe he'll wonder. I don't know

It sure is a nicely balanced rifle. Feels like offhand shots would be better than average. Hope I don't like it too much and want one for myself lol

Not sure. I'll ask but he might be shooting in the dirt. He might be single feeding, I forgot to ask. He doesn't hunt, just target. I probably shouldn't even say anything since he's really enjoying it. I might pull the bolt and just wipe things with a cloth when I go to shoot it, he's going to be there so maybe he'll wonder. I don't know
If he is new to the sport he is going to need some grooming. I would clean the entire rifle with him and explain to him that to verify the accuracy of your load depends on a clean property functioning rifle. It will definitely help you on a load work up. As for me I have three Browning's the hunter 300 WM, Hells Canyon 300 WM with cerakoted bolt, and the X-bolt pro long range 7mm RM coated as well all the actions are glass. He may simply not know gun maintenance. Explain to him when to clean as well. He obviously trusts your knowledge. Coach him up and he will stay in the game, after all we are all a family of shooters sharing knowledge with each other. Be positive and supportive. The US Army taught me and I taught others in Sand Hill down in Fort Benning Ga.

Which round are you working up?

Last edited:
Which model has the coated bolt? I was in a hurry and was just getting an idea of headspace. He's waiting on a bullet order. I wasn't really paying much attention, just noticed it was really sticky cycling. Will have him bring the rifle back to get a starting coal and will ask if it's been cleaned. Guessing 200 rounds since that's the brass count he gave me

Recent Posts