Question about Reloader 16

GLTaylor

I just this winter started using R-16. I tried several powders for my 6.5 CM. When i finally found some R16 i got 2 lbs to try. Got fantastic groups, good speed and extremely good single digit SD and low (14) two digit ES! Now a happy camper.
Recently worked up a new load for my 243 AI with Hammer bullets. Again got .2" groups with same single digit SD and very low ES.
Am i just incredibly lucky, or is R16 this good in medium capacity cases? Am i the last one to learn this?

RL 16 is a decent powder, it's one of 2 RL powders I will shoot today, and I like it. Be warned though, the powder is known to lay down hard carbon in the first part of the barrel, so be prepared to deal with it, and it is best to stay on top of it.
It also seems to build up in suppressors, if you run one.

I burnt out a 6.5x47 barrel with the stuff, and have used in two other 6.5x47s, my son's 6.5 Creedmoor and even worked up a load in my 6.5 Addiction. I'm in the camp that it might be harder on a barrel than H4350, but it gives decent results and better velocity, I was suprised how few of rounds I got from a 6.5x47 before my groups opened and SD/ES went up (I pulled the barrel at about 2200). However, I am now shooting a 147 ELDM instead of a 140 Berger and the bearing surface is appreciably longer so more friction is created. I even worked up a load in my 338 WM with it. It seems to be very temp stable and a good switch/alternative to H4350.

RL 16 is a decent powder, it's one of 2 RL powders I will shoot today, and I like it. Be warned though, the powder is known to lay down hard carbon in the first part of the barrel, so be prepared to deal with it, and it is best to stay on top of it.
It also seems to build up in suppressors, if you run one.
I noticed the same. I love the powder but when I switch to it I ended up with a carbon ring. Just stay on top of that and you'll be fine

I noticed the same. I love the powder but when I switch to it I ended up with a carbon ring. Just stay on top of that and you'll be fine
We may have a different description of a carbon ring, rings are easy to get rid off, over size brush chucked up in a drill, a little solvent. I am taking hard carbon laid down in the rifling that will build pressure, and retain accuracy to a certain point.

For the 7RM, you might want to look at RL 23 instead.

RL 16, if H4350 is the ticket, but look at RL 23 if H4831 is the ticket.

When I used RL 16 in my 6.5 Addiction, I lost a lot of velocity almost 100fps over my H4831 load. Had I used RL 23, I would have likely seen a bit of a gain. I didn't have any on hand and H4831 is easy to get. I did try some RL 26 and got magic velocities, but didn't like how it behaved over 80F. That is a lot of summer shooting, so I have multiple pounds of RL 26 just sitting in my dry box.

Reloader-16 was the only powder my Sako 30-06 liked so far.
20191212_125308.jpg

My creedmoor loves it and is fast. Thinking of teying it in my Sons 270 WSM. Anyone have experience with the 270WSM? Seems as though it may be a little quik burning for it?
Thanks

Not a lot of data out yet.I'm loading one grain less than IMR-or Accurate 4350 in my 30-06.I'm also getting about 50fps increase in velocity as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.