Quality of Sako actions

James Jones

I have the chance to buy a built Sako rifle for dirt cheap and was wondering if they are worthy of a serious long range build up the action is a L691 I believe and is currently wearing a Pac-Nor barrel chambered in 300Win mag , the barrel job was done by Pac-Nor. The trigger seems decient and the bolt is smooth and tight more so than a Rem 700.
What is everbodies oppinions here on this style action??

I've got a 300 RUM w/a Lilja on a Sako 75. Shoots .25 MOA @ 100 yds. Excellent trigger. It is set @ 1.5#s and has had no work done to it.

I'm sure they have their problems and someone else can get alot more technical that I can. I don't know about the older Sakos but I wish all my rifles were built on a 75.

What Bill Bailey says, and....

I'd consider them a step or two above anything that rem/win/sav turns out.

Don't know what the newer ones are like but I disliked, with a passion, their scope mounting idea.

I don't know about ease of working on them from a rilesmith's perspective but that's a whole nother story.

The L691 is an excellent action to build a long range shooter. The action will lend itself to nearly any mag caliber you would want. As to the scope bases they can be a pain but still serviceable. If the price is right go for it You won't be sorry.

Sako actions are good.
Ive several in as custom projects at the moment.
I like to replace the removable recoil lug on the ones that have it with something more substancial.this can either be attached to the stock permanently or attached to the action semi permanently(with screws. I believe this to be better than just having it floating between action an bedding.
Also, it is just a basic engineering job to convert the sako mounting system to something else. heres a pic of a 75 i converted to picatinny rail.
[image]
]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/PeteLincoln/S3500748.jpg[/image]

Pete

They are probably the best commercial action made. Especially the older ones. Once you feel the smoothness of one you will know what I am talking about. The triggers are so good you won't even consider replacing it.

Pete, 1 x beer please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif :
S3500748.jpg

Near Mfg makes a rail that slides right over the dove tail. You can either use set screws or have the reciever tapped, which is what I did.

I have a Sako L691 with a factory Sako Heavy barrel (25-06 AI) and it shoots same hole at 100m no worries.
Very smooth, reliable feeding action.

cheers

I machined that rail on that 75 from a solid block of picatinny bar stock, as i hadn't managed to get a hold of near manufacturing at the time and the thing needed mounting. its screwed and glued to the action. a ready to fit rail is a real bonus.
Pete

My Sako 75 hunter 375 H&H shoots a 5/8" hole at 100 yds with those big bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well,here is how it went
I saw the gun liked it so I took a closer look noticed that the barrel had 5 grooves so I figured that it was put together by Pac-Nor as nobody in this neck of the woods has ever heard of Rock or Broughton , the dealer that had the gun got it on a trade the previous owner said it would shoot under an inch at 200yds and it had less that 200rounds through it but he had got it used so he realy diden't know what the hell it was. WellI checked it out for a while looked it over and asked what kind of price he wanted and I gave the man $700 , I took it home , broke it down as I do with all new-used guns and to my suprise I see stamped on the bottom of the barrel Obermayer 1-11 , I put it bac to gether to go give it a test drive but its raining to hard
So here is what I got
1 Blued Sako action L691 , 300Win mag
1 fluted heavy Obermayer barrel in SS 26" plus 2"brake
1 kinda crappy molded stock (nice fit but not stiff)
1 old Leupold VX-II 12x variable adjustable 40mm obj
1 set of Sako rings and bases
All this for $700 , I diden't get raped did I ???

I have a box of 190gr SMK ,100 pieces of FL resized Lapua brass and some H-1000 , and R-22 I'm gonna go give it a run tomorrow

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.