PTG Receiver Truing Kit

redneckclimbing

Has anyone used the Pacific Tool and Gauge Receiver Truing Kit with the +.01" taps?

I know that ideally you would just do all of this on a lathe, but not having ready access to a lathe and really not wanting to screw up a receiver's threads. How well do these kits work? The idea seems sound, I was just wondering if anyone has any real-world experience with them?

Thanks

How many do you plan on truing? With the price of the kit you could get 3 trued by a smith.

AS MANY AS I CAN AFFORD TO BUILD ! ! :D

A.K.A. As many as my wife will let me buy and keep! :D

I'm not a hardcore, competitive bench guy or any thing like that. However, I shoot well enough that I can appreciate a good rifle. The kit would allow me to do the actions at my house and then just spend one day at my buddies house on his lather to fit the barrel and do the crowns.

With our schedules, especially mine, that would make the logistics of getting together ALOT easier. So, I figured if they do an above average job it would probably be worth it.

AS MANY AS I CAN AFFORD TO BUILD ! ! :D

A.K.A. As many as my wife will let me buy and keep! :D

I'm not a hardcore, competitive bench guy or any thing like that. However, I shoot well enough that I can appreciate a good rifle. The kit would allow me to do the actions at my house and then just spend one day at my buddies house on his lather to fit the barrel and do the crowns.

With our schedules, especially mine, that would make the logistics of getting together ALOT easier. So, I figured if they do an above average job it would probably be worth it.

I have not used a PT&G Truing Kit but any good tool will help. Over the years I have built most of
my tools not so much from a cost savings but to get a better understanding of what it takes to
do precision work.

I like seeing someone that is interested in learning the gun building craft from the ground up
and recommend starting slow and building rifles for your self ONLY until you have mastered the
art of making accurate rifles. even if you don't build rifles for others it will help you appreciate
a Good Gun smith when you see there work.

Rule # 1 ; DON'T TAKE ANY SHORTCUTS. Handling 65,000 psi + is dangerous and can lead to disaster

Rule #2 ; Don't be afraid to get help or advice if you are not sure about a process or your abilities
it takes years to learn the skill.

Rule # 3 Plan your work and work your plan. Measure twice and cut once.

And Always prof test remotely just to be sure.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts