Proper ring height

jaybic

Hello,

I am hoping that some of you fellas might know from experience what rings I might need.

I have a Stiller Precision Predator action with a #5 Hart tube going on it and I just picked up a Vortex HS LR 4x16x50 ffp scope for 700.00 that was a store demo.

I want to use the Nightforce Ultralight rings but have no idea what height I need. I think they come in high, intermediate high, extra high and extreme high.

I also want to add a bubble level and ACI to this set up but I have read about issues with screw holes lining up and such. I am also willing to consider other ideas in terms of rings, leves and ACI attachments so any and all ideas are welcome.

Also need ideas on what brand and type of dies to buy if anyone has any ideas about that.

Thanks a ton,

Jamie

Determine the overall diameter of the scope you want to use. (not the lense diameter, but the diameter of the scope's objective lense housing)
Divide that by two.
Add a small amount of additional space (something in the neighborhood of 1/16 inch often works about right) and use that figure to record the center line of your scope.
Select a set of rings/mounts that brings the centerline of your rings to the same height as the centerline you've established for your scope.
Bingo .... you're there.

Most shooters use scope rings much higher than they need - I've probably mounted over 100 scopes in the last two years and I have yet to see a bolt action that needed more than a LOW height ring with a scope having an objective 44mm and less - most 50 mm scopes did fine with MEDIUM or (INTERMEDIATE height as some brands call it) - it does not matter if you have a 1-inch or a 30mm scope tube as the manufacturers measure ring height from the bottom of the ring diameter. There does need to consideration when using scopes with larger eyepieces such as the Weaver Grand Slam series to ensure you have clearance for bolt travel and for bolt-sleeve mounted, swing-safeties such as you see on Mausers and Winchester Model 70's.

What a lot of shooters fail to realize is that the further away (higher) that the shooter's line of sight is from the actual bore line, the greater the induced error when their rifle is not exactly vertically aligned - in other words, if you cant the rifle to one side or the other, your error will be greater the higher your scope is above the rifle barrel. Might not matter at 150 yards but sure will at 500.

Lastly, some have their scope so high that they actually need to lift their faces off the stock to align their eye with the scopes - now that really is 'high' living. Just my thoughts for what it's worth. :)

Most shooters use scope rings much higher than they need - I've probably mounted over 100 scopes in the last two years and I have yet to see a bolt action that needed more than a LOW height ring with a scope having an objective 44mm and less - most 50 mm scopes did fine with MEDIUM or (INTERMEDIATE height as some brands call it) - it does not matter if you have a 1-inch or a 30mm scope tube as the manufacturers measure ring height from the bottom of the ring diameter. There does need to consideration when using scopes with larger eyepieces such as the Weaver Grand Slam series to ensure you have clearance for bolt travel and for bolt-sleeve mounted, swing-safeties such as you see on Mausers and Winchester Model 70's.

What a lot of shooters fail to realize is that the further away (higher) that the shooter's line of sight is from the actual bore line, the greater the induced error when their rifle is not exactly vertically aligned - in other words, if you cant the rifle to one side or the other, your error will be greater the higher your scope is above the rifle barrel. Might not matter at 150 yards but sure will at 500.

Lastly, I've seen some rifles with such high rings, that the shooters had to lift their faces off the stock to align their eye with the scopes. Now that's just damned ridiculous! Just my thoughts for what it's worth. :)

SORRY! Don't know how that happened unless I hit enter because this HIGH SPEED Comcast internet doesn't respond as quickly as I do

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.