Pronghorn pic..

Canvsbk

This years pronghorn hunt in Wyoming was just awesome. Now let's see if I can post a picture ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 161
4 of us went out for the opener on left over tags. We camped out and that may have been the highlight of the trip for me. The other 3 guys all shot their bucks on opening day and I had multiple chance both day 1 and 2 but was in no rush as I was going to return for a couple days later on.
We had a wide variety of rifles, .25-06, .270, .308 and no trip is complete with out a .30-06. Nobody needed to bring more than 1 bullet and the guy with the .25-06 had the longest shot at 350 and change.
We stopped on the way out and shot prairie dogs...22-250, .25-06, .220 Swift and .243. Longest shot went to the .243 @ 505 yards.
I went back out ( just passing through ) this past Monday and after a couple attempts, a very long hike and crawling up nose to nose with a rattle snake, I took the guy pictured above at 242 yards bedded.
Can't wait for next year!!

thanks for sharing. That sounds like a good hunting trip...less the snake.

I hope to get to WY in the next couple years for Pronghorn. Just got a point this year.

so you end up shooting him with the 30-06?

Nope, Jack had it right, I'm the .270 guy. 58 1/2 imr 4831 and 130 Nosler Accubond. Everybody else was shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips. I bought this .270, a 700 Rem, to use the action for a .280AI build but at the last minute thought I might better shoot it first. It's usual group is 5/8" and on a bad day 3/4". Oh we'll, into the safe with this one and back to the drawing board....:)

Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Keep that 270 intact sir. Buy yourself a Stiller TAC300 or Predator action for the 280AI build. For giggles, consider loading a 110 Barnes in your 270. We use 4350 with 25.5" barrels. Trajectory flat, and kills quick too. That's our goat load.

The dang thing shoots so well it's unbelievable. I did drop it into an HS Precision stock. I've been looking at Redhawkrifles for the .280AI. Can't explain why I want one so bad but I guess I'm old enough I don't have to explain myself any more. I just like rifles...:)

I looked at their website. I can't tell much about what components they use for their custom rifles for hunting. I did see Douglas barrels mentioned.

That's a 700 action, made in house. The barrels are Douglas match, wich gives me pause but I can't really say why....Those early Ruger #1's had Douglas 2nds on 'em is what I've heard a zillion times over the years and they had accuracy issues. I do not know this as fact, and do not intend to run down these guys at all it's just kinda stuck in my mind with all the other fog. I'm just rambling now, wich usually gets me in trouble ......

Nice goat.

We camped out and that may have been the highlight of the trip for me

I agree with that 100%. So many people miss the most fun of antelope hunting by Motel Hunting.

I live just about 30 minutes from where I hunt, but I still like to take a small tent, watch the stars and listening to coyotes at night. With the coffee pot just outside the tent door.

Closest to heaven on this side.

antelope%20camp.jpg

Very nice goat, glad you got to connect on the return trip, finnaly got the virus out of this computer to reopen sites, point for next year and then try for better area,,,,,
Camping was good but think a pop up in in my future foir the next trip,,

later

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.