Profiling a rifle barrel for dangerous game

Charlie Brown Jr.

Looking for someone to profile a 50 cal. blank for a 500A square going on a magnum Mauser action. I need a picatinny on top, and a front sight ramp, an extra recoil lug, and swivel mount. I had a pal at Douglas that could turn this out, but since he's passed away his work has really slowed down. Must be someone out there that has this kind of talent and equipment. The last one I did was on a pre 64 model 70 with a cone breach and extractor cut, so I chambered it first, and milled a flat on the end of the bbl. that was leveled with the top of the receiver. Then mailed the bbl off to have the work done. The flat disappears when crowning the bbl. I'm guessing he's out there somewhere, now if I can just find him.

I hesitate to give out my smith's info, but because you're an Oregonian...

Tim Copeland; Copeland Custom Gunworks in Estacada. The guy does phenominal work.

He's asembling a 9.3x64 Brenekke on an FN Mauser for me. Had him add a sling swivel to the barrel (New England Custom Guns) and I wanted to do one of their (NECG) front sight ramps but opted for brake threading instead.

Be prepared to wait. My rifle is a year and a half in the making so far...

Usually, talented people are in demand and have plenty of projects, so that explains the long wait. Thanks for the tip, up till now, I didn't even have a direction. I hoped there was an advantage for being a lifelong Oregonian, besides having webbed feet. Thanks again.

What are you going to do with a 500 ASquare? Yikes! That will kill at both ends! LOL!
How do you get that into Africa? They compare my rifle cartridge stamp to my brass stamp.

I was only going to shoot it till I started talking like Porky Pig. Then sell it before I had dethatched retinas in both eyes. I heard Quality Cartridge would stamp the correct name on the brass to match the bbl markings, for only about 8 dollars each! Not really sure, haven't checked on that one yet. Makes you wonder who comes up with laws like that, and for what reason. You're not likely to resupply the rebels with your 40 rds. of ammo.

Looking for someone to profile a 50 cal. blank for a 500A square going on a magnum Mauser action. I need a picatinny on top, and a front sight ramp, an extra recoil lug, and swivel mount. I had a pal at Douglas that could turn this out, but since he's passed away his work has really slowed down. Must be someone out there that has this kind of talent and equipment. The last one I did was on a pre 64 model 70 with a cone breach and extractor cut, so I chambered it first, and milled a flat on the end of the bbl. that was leveled with the top of the receiver. Then mailed the bbl off to have the work done. The flat disappears when crowning the bbl. I'm guessing he's out there somewhere, now if I can just find him.
Your sight ramp, pic rail and sling swivel I'm thinking any good machine shop should be able to do.... not so certain on extra recoil lug but might be worth asking....????

Your sight ramp, pic rail and sling swivel I'm thinking any good machine shop should be able to do.... not so certain on extra recoil lug but might be worth asking....????
Canada has stiffer firearms laws than the US. Here, in the US, machine shops don't take on gun work, unless they have a FFL, and gun work is part of their business plan. Gun work doesn't pay what most machine shops expect to earn, anyway. Most machine shops, who would be capable of preforming work like C.B.jr is looking for, are too busy for such work.

I have no idea how he can whittle down what looks to be a 2" or thereabouts blank down to a sporter profile on a manual machine between centers and keep his sanity. I'm guessing he must true the large diameter sections and run them in the steady rest or it would chatter like a biatch. Kudos to him... I contoured a standard diameter blank once, and will never do it again...

This guy does great work. Look at the No.1 in the gallery. He's doing a Model 70 for me now.