Problem with burrs on necks

Cmrem700

I get a burr on the outside of a case neck when I chamfer it. It seams to role the brass over enough that you can hook your finger nail on it. It happens weather I trim or not. Can the chamfer tool wear out? If so I am on my third one. I have the rcbs case prep center and used rcbs and Lyman chamfer.

I get a burr on the outside of a case neck when I chamfer it. It seams to role the brass over enough that you can hook your finger nail on it. It happens weather I trim or not. Can the chamfer tool wear out? If so I am on my third one. I have the rcbs case prep center and used rcbs and Lyman chamfer.

I too have the case prep center. chamfer the inside and then chamfer the outside. That should get rid of your burr.

The same thing happens to me. I use a lyman chamfer tool. I have started holding the outside chamfer tool at an angle. It might be hard to visualize but I hold the tool so one of the cutting edges is very close to the neck of the cartridge, almost parallel to the neck. That seems to get rid of the rolled lip on the outside of the neck.

The same thing happens to me. I use a lyman chamfer tool. I have started holding the outside chamfer tool at an angle. It might be hard to visualize but I hold the tool so one of the cutting edges is very close to the neck of the cartridge, almost parallel to the neck. That seems to get rid of the rolled lip on the outside of the neck.

i am doing the same thing.

i have tried a few different outside chamfer tools and always get the little bur if i press the brass straight down on them. i think a lot of it has to do with tools that arnt sharpened right, to me it feels almost like its kind of smearing the brass instead of cutting it

I also would hold it at a angle and spin the case at the same time. I called rcbs today and explained this to them. Without hesitation he responded that he would send me a new one at no charge. He said they wear out and need to be replaced. We also talked about the carbide kind, he said that that kind will last forever (a real long time). So I told he thanks for the offer and ordered a carbide chamfer (newer design that I have not seen before) and a carbide cutter for my rcbs prep center.
Thanks guys for responding, I now know it was not just me.

i didnt know that they made carbide ones it would make sense. I will have to look into getting one if it works well

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.