problem seating bullets, need help!!

wbyfireman

I have been loading just over a year and load for several calbers. Last night I was loading once fired brass for a friends 300 RUM with 210gr Berger VLD's. I seated bullets on a few then ran them through the chamber to check the smoothness of the round in his rifle. I found I could not throw the bolt all the way forward. Upon furhter inspection I found the necks had been "flared" out upon seating the bullet on all 5 of the rounds. This is the first time this had happened and I am at a loss (as well as discouraged). Powder is only at 92% fill capacity. Should I full lenght size? I would appreciate any assistance!lightbulb

You probably have your seating die turned too far down toward the shell holder. Many seating dies have a roll crimp built into the seating die and will cause your problem if you don't know how to use it. Back the die away from the shell holder a couple of turns then screw your seating stem down to get the COAL you want.

Try this, take a sized case, no powder, put it in the shell holder and raise the ram to the top of it's stroke, turn your seater die in until it contacts the case mouth then turn it OUT 1 full turn and tighten the lock ring, then wind out your seating stem and adjust until you get the desired COAL.
Your seater die is now set to seat bullets without crimping.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.