Bullet Seating Problem

Doublezranch

I have been reloading for years and have never had this problem before. I need your help.

I am trying a new combo in my 338 ultra and I can't seem to get the bullet seated far enough down. I am maxed out on the bullet plunger. I tried slowly moving the die but as you know, that only crushed the shoulder. I would like to get it to the factory 3.60 COAL. Right now I can only get it to 3.67.

The Barnes bullet needs a bit of a jump to the lans inorder for them to be as accurate as they can be. .07 isn't enough jump.

Here is what I have. If you have anything...anything at all, please tell me.

RCBS Rockchucker Press
Redding Dies
Remington Brass
IMR 7828 with 86.0 grains
Barnes .338 265 LRX Bullet.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Contact Redding, I bet they can suggest an alternate plunger. Sounds like you've done all that can be done without replacing/modifying parts.

Well, after tons of thought I tried 2 things. One worked. I thought I was compressing the load. So I changed to IMR 7828 SSC. This made no difference. Then, I realized the bullets ogive was much narrower, therefore the seater plug was swallowing a third of the bullet. What I did was stuffed some low density foam into the seater plug and walla!! Bullets come out straight and at the overall length that I need!!

I would still order the new seater as th foam may compress differently therefore giving you different oaks which could b detrimental to accuracy. Good luck
D

Like mentioned, I would simply contact Redding, shoot them a note with a couple of bullets included in it, and they will build you a seater plug for around $15 that will work with your bullets.

I feel the same as the previous post, the foam might work for a bit, but eventually it might start giving in to the repeated pressure.

Another alternative would be to clean out the seater plug really good with some MEK or Acetone, then mix up a dab of JB Weld or similar reinforced epoxy, shove a small pea sized ball up in the plug, then after coating one of the bullets with Johnson's Paste Wax, or similar, insert it into the plug and allow to harden. Then you would have a custom fit on your bullets, that wouldn't give.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.