Primers not flush

HockeyDad

My first time reloading .300 win mag. Primers did not end up flush. Other calibers I've reloaded always come out flush to lightly below flush. I have a RCBS hand tool. Was using Federal large rifle mag primers 215s and the brass is once fired factory Norma. I looked at some other brand new factory Norma rounds, and the primers all seem to be flush. I tried redoing after breaking down the hand tool and reassembling again and same thing. Then I tried priming some 308 that I've always done, and they all came out flush. The 300 WM isn't protruding a whole lot, but definitely not flush. What say you?0

My first time reloading .300 win mag. Primers did not end up flush. Other calibers I've reloaded always come out flush to lightly below flush. I have a RCBS hand tool. Was using Federal large rifle mag primers 215s and the brass is once fired factory Norma. I looked at some other brand new factory Norma rounds, and the primers all seem to be flush. I tried redoing after breaking down the hand tool and reassembling again and same thing. Then I tried priming some 308 that I've always done, and they all came out flush. The 300 WM isn't protruding a whole lot, but definitely not flush. What say you?0
Try using a Primer Pocket Uniform Tool on the brass especially since it is once fired.

Thanks. What about the 80 cases I've put primers in already that the primers aren't flush?? What should I do about those?
Well other members can chime in on what to do - pop them out or just shoot them.
Personally we use a primer pocket uniform tool on every case (new/fired) and then seat with a CPS. It is a little extreme for most reloaders, but we prep every case for consistency.

How do you pop them out? If I run them through my press, won't the primer pin thingamajuggy make the unfired primer go bang in my face?

How do you pop them out? If I run them through my press, won't the primer pin thingamajuggy make the unfired primer go bang in my face?
No., or at least it's never happened to me.

Again, if they are all "consistently" seated at the same depth and will chamber than I would not be concerned. However, that is me and I am not shooting competition. Waste them or shoot them, your choice and good luck.

Actually, they should end up slightly recessed

Have you tried measuring the cup & flash hole to see if you can notice a difference ?

I use a universal decapping die to pop them out. Obviously, you don't want to go at it like you're swatting flies. And I always (usually) throw on a pair of safety glasses. If I have a bunch of live ones to do I wait until mom goes to town....JIC. 😉

I'd probably shoot a few before I dumped them all. Unless they're horribly tall. I have noticed previously fired Norma pistol brass has a tighter pocket than some other mfgs.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago with new adg brass and federal 215's in 7 prc. Out of 50 rounds that I fired, I had one that the bolt wouldn't close on, it was too high, once I disassembled the round, the bolt closed. The other 49 turned out to be very good loads. I just prepped these same 50 cases, if I start having the same issue right off the line, I'll do as shadow tracker suggested and uniform the primer pocket, high primers aren't really something you want.