Primer seating

gunner52

I have some new brass and have to apply considerable force to seat the primers. They are at uniform depth and there is no apparent deformation that I can see with the naked eye. Will a slight deformation effect ignition to the point of effecting accuracy or is depth the most critical thing?. They all require the same pressure to seat and i'm using a RCBS hand primer. Should I open them up a bit with a uniformer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gunner

You could if you have the tool for it. De burring the flash hole is said to make a real difference in accuracy. Do a few and try it to see if it is a waste of time or not. Turing case necks can work or crash in magnum calibers I have only seen it crash,

Thanks,Keith

I have some new brass and have to apply considerable force to seat the primers. They are at uniform depth and there is no apparent deformation that I can see with the naked eye. Will a slight deformation effect ignition to the point of effecting accuracy or is depth the most critical thing?. They all require the same pressure to seat and i'm using a RCBS hand primer. Should I open them up a bit with a uniformer? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gunner

Don't know what primers or brass you are using, or what "considerable pressure" is, but I've found WOLF primers are a "little" harder to seat in Winchester brass. Try another brand

i would ream the primer pockets...im ofthe opinion that no amount of accuracy gains is worth blowing a primer while seating it...then again, im not very adventurous when it comes to small explosions and mangled fingers..lol..

A small chamfer has cured the same problem for me more than once. I never had
to ream.

A small chamfer has cured the same problem for me more than once. I never had
to ream.

i use the hornady tool that does both at the same time, cant get one without the other using it...i debated getting a swagging die, but i just couldnt justify the cost for bulk plinking ammo...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.