Primer seating/ accuracy

wagspe208

OK, I have been reading and it seems as the PREMIER primer seater is the K&M with the indicator to ensure alll depths are the same within .0005 or so.
The question is....
1) Is this extremely critical for a very well truned load?
2) Is it more for paper punchers where .020" group can make a huge difference?
3) Many guys talk about the "feel" of the other hand primers. Well, "feel" is a function of press fit, leverage, etc. It has nothing to do with seating depth. Also, how much did you ream the primer pocket, depth, out of round, etc?

OK, so... is it for benchrest stuff only, and most hand primers or the rcbs bench mounted primer is adequit for 90% of us? (.5 to .75 MOA shooting)

Thanks
Wags

I personally do not belief that the influence is much on the accuracy of a load. Primers either pop or they do not pop. Proper primer seating with a good priming tool is essential to prevent misfires and/or to prevent the primer from being crushed. I have used most types of primer seaters (Lee, RCBS Hand Prime, RCBS Universal Hand Prime, the RCBS Bench Prime and the Hornady Hand Prime), excluding the K&M and Sinclair. From them all I have found the Hornady to be the easiest to feel the primer seating. The RCBS Hand primes requires a hard sqeeze. Only thing with the Hornady is that you must use the RCBS Shell Holders with the green tray and Hornady Shell Holders with the black tray. When using other brands it results in extruded primers or primers being seated too deep. Never had any misfires with the Hornady Hand Prime.

IL use the K&M without an indicator and find it easy to feel the primer bottom out.

OK, so... is it for benchrest stuff only, and most hand primers or the rcbs bench mounted primer is adequate for 90% of us? (.5 to .75 MOA shooting)

Thanks
Wags

I use the RCBS bench primer and couldnt be happier. 3 shot groups with the 22-250 I can cover with a nickle and 4 shot groups with a .260 I can cover with a quarter and good enough. I could do better with more rifle tuning...but its all good enough for me

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.