Primer flame size?

I am working on the same for 308 subs. I have been using tin star since I could not find trail boss. I am shooting 200g Bullets and I am getting a flier on first shot and then 2 that are 1/2" apart. I have ordered a crimp die to see if that helps. I have some green dot and mag primers but I am getting good groups and stable at 100 yrds from the first shot. Very frustrating but fun.

Thanks

Buck
Your regular seating die will apply a perfectly good crimp. You don't need a dedicated crimp die.

I already had one coming for the hammer Bullets so I might as well give it a little extra crimp. It may need a little less. We will see. I may need to uniform necks and tension
I have never had to do so much to find a load. So it may help me up my skills.

Thanks

Buck

Primer blast waves have been measured

"Simple blast waves are usually characterized by peak overpressure, duration, and impulse (the area under the curve of pressure vs. time). Since the durations and basic shapes are all nearly the same for all the pressure waveforms, the impulse is nearly proportional to the peak pressure, and the peak pressure is the main distinguishing characteristic of the blast wave. Therefore, we will focus on the average peak magnitude and the standard deviation of peak magnitudes for each primer type."

Quote from science guys who measured primer blast waves in kilo Pascals. Same shapes & duration but differences in peak pressures.

The mighty Fed 215 is the most powerful of the bunch & I reserve my modest supply of 215"s for my .300 WM & H1000 loads. For small rifle primers the Rem 7 1/2 is a frisky little primer, easily setting off max loads of R-S Hunter & Staball 6.5 in my small primer brass 6.5 CM loads. CCI 41's were not measured but I would not be surprised if they were more powerful than CCI 450"s. The CCI 41's are reliable with max 4350 type powder loads in the 65 CM.

When I crimp bullets/cases I use a Lee factory crimp die after the bullet has been seated.

:

Recent Posts