Pressure Ring?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
I have a question regarding the true nomenclature of the words "Pressure Ring".

Please enlighten me on what it means/refers to to YOU in your own words.

Thanks.
:)

I've always thought about it as the bearing surface/boatail junction.
Never talked about it till now.

Never thought it causes any problems unless it is for a tight neck/ neck turn chamber.

First thing that pops into my mind as I sit up sleepless at 2:30 in the morning is this- a slightly larger than diameter ring/band around a bullet that gives it a tighter seal in the bore of the barrel. Like on most Cutting Edge bullets (see picture)...or am I way off on this?

Attachments

• 9605DD20-5064-474A-AFDF-D22399A337DC.jpeg
    9605DD20-5064-474A-AFDF-D22399A337DC.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 204
The pressure ring is often found on competition bullets. It is formed at the base of flat bullets, and is about .0005" in diameter. It provides a better seal for the gasses when travelling thru the bore.

What pressure ring brings to my mind is the place on a fired case that you measure to get a feel for what pressure your chamber is generating with a given load versus what a factory load gives.

Thanks to all who replied.

This is exactly what I thought, 2 meanings for the same phrase.
I have heard people here, and elsewhere, say they load their bullets with the 'pressure ring' above the neck/shoulder juncture, which is where my query stems from.

I was perusing an old gun rag and in the same issue were 2 articles discussing totally different things, one was discussing resizing brass and the things to look for; the pressure ring above the web.
The other article referred to the driving band on AA ammunition as being similar to the pressure ring on some comp bullets, which I believe are totally different to each other in reallity.

I have not to this date used a bullet with a pressure ring as far as I know, Sierra, Nosler & Berger are the only brands I've used, if they have one, it is news to me.

I know certain Woodleigh DG bullets have the bottom third at proper diameter while the shank above this is .0015" smaller, this is to reduce friction allowing top velocity with less pressure.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
:)

Berger bullets have a pressure ring where the boat tail and bearing surface meet that is .0005" larger than the baring surface diameter. I'm not sure if it's labeled as a "pressure ring" though. Cutting edge bullets have a pressure ring, "seal tite band" they call it. Theirs is about 3/4 of the way up the bearing surface from what I can tell and it is also .0005" over bearing surface diameter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts