preparing for ultra long range

knapper

Len and the group;

I am having a hard time finding a good load for the 300 Win Mag.

My rifle is the model 110, 24 inch barrel, H-S Precision Remington 700 vertical long range stock.
My scope is a vortex viper, VPR-M-06MD, 6.5-20 X 50 MIL DOT and I use the MIL-DOT. I use the Military version of the PBZ (Point Blank Zero) firing solution

The ammo that I have been using is::

Powder
Alliant reloader 22, 72 gr.
Hodgdon H4831SC, 72 gr.
and some Ramshot Magnum (book loading advise)

Primers
Winchester Large Magnum

Bullets
Sierra match, all were the BTHP
200 gr.
180 gr.
150 gr.

My best luck was the sierra 200 gr.
as well as the Hornady 168 gr. match

I very seldom go hunting four legged critters any more (75 years young) but I would like to be able to hit a 8 inch paper plate at 1000 yards consistently. or maybe a P'dog at say, 900 yards??? (Grin)

Knapper

801-347-8139

I cant answer your question but you might also want to state the group size at say 100yards or MOA at other distances you have acheived so far with your load developement instead of just saying which has been best. Also, you may want to try a different brand bullet...nosler...barnes...? I am new to reloading but from what I have read, a rifle may simply not like a particular brand Bullet, no matter what weight it is.

You said ultra long range and 300 win. I will share what is working for me in my 300 win to 1 mile plus.

WW brass
Fed GM 215 M primer
H-1000 powder, start with 73 gr and work up toward 77 watching for pressure as you go. If you get to 77 gr with a 24" tube you should be in the 2800 to 2830 fps range.

Use a 215 Berger Hybrid and start with them seated -.040" off the lands. Once you find max pressure back down 1/2 gr and work with seating depth to fine tune. I recommend -.020" changes in seating depth until you get close to the sweet spot. Then fine tune -.005" at a time.

I have used this load in more than a few 300 wins with great results.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.