Pregger Sow w Pulsar Apex XD38a Thermal Scope

Double Naught Spy

Sorry Packrat, but no nuts to shoot on this one!

Right now, I am doing T&E on a Pulsar Apex XD38A thermal scope. Actually, I have been for a couple of weeks, but haven't been around too many critters to get video footage.

The Apex XD38a is a 384x288 resolution, 50 hz, 1.5x native magnification thermal scope with a 38mm lens that will digitally zoom to 6x. Like the previous Armasight Predator scope I was using, this is a budget or entry level thermal optic. In fact, this was the model of scope that first broke the sub $3K barrier here in the US. Being inexpensive, however, doesn't mean it is cheap. Just 4 years ago, plenty of folks were hunting with less scope that cost several times as much money.

So this scope has slightly more resolution than the Armasight Predator and runs at more hz, but is also has a larger lens with and objective focus that the Predator did not have. The main downsides by comparison are that this scope is polymer cased and much longer than the aluminum cased Predator.

The scope is on the lightweight Grendel carbine I put together for my daughter. She gets to be part of T&E as well, LOL.

I have been after some hogs at my place for a while now. Until recently, they were coming once or twice every 3 or 4 weeks. That isn't to say that I had them patterned as I never knew when those one or two days would be, but that was the frequency. Here lately, they have started showing up anew and much more often. There was a lone sow and a sounder that often did not show up together. I had been out 6 of the last 10 nights. Either they didn't show when I was there or came hours after I left. So they have managed to elude me quite effectively, at least until last night for the sow. The sounder still did by not coming until 5:58 this morning. Sheesh.

The sow came out and was quite skittish. She ran off twice, but I was able to pop her when she appeared the third time. Here is the video. Note the unique Picture in Picture feature. I did not use it much this time, but have really liked using it in the past when I got to try out a Pulsar Apex XD50 prototype for Sellmark, the US distributor for Pulsar.

Here is the video...
[ame]https://youtu.be/Bcxdhd0pn64[/ame]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcxd...ature=youtu.be

DNS,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck!

Free use of thermals, fancy YouTube videos, and more hog kills. You live a charmed life.

Since envy is one the 7 deadly sins, I am going to hell.

My friend drove past my bait pile this morning. Other than raccoons, opossums, and squirrels, nothing has touched my bait pile.

great kill and vid, as usual. as far as the nutz, might try attaching these before the photo session.

bumper_zpsuqu94cii.jpg

I get that a lot from my wife, so I am not offended. You know, it is something of a sweet deal, but at the same time, the opportunities are limited and I am expected to produce some results. So it isn't all fun and glory.

With that said, I am rather pleased with how well the low end scopes are able to be utilized in the field. Where legal, I am hopeful that more folks will be able to use some of my information and hopefully get into thermal hunting that might not otherwise consider it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.