Preferred bullet weight for 6.5 CM

My son is getting to the age that it's time to start transitioning to a larger rifle so I bought a 6.5 CM off of here to get him started. The rifle has a 1:8!so most any bullet is in play and I would prefer to avoid monos due to the sedate velocities of the CM but could be swayed.

I have a ton of lighter old 6.5 bullets in various makes and weights that I intend to download to get him started but want to work up a "standard" load as well.

I'm seeing everything from 120-147's in various posts. In playing with applied ballistics it seems to me that the 130ish may be best as the increased velocity over the 140 class gives it an advantage on elevation with just a slight wind penalty to about 1000 yds which is farther then I plan to shoot.

I have 200 virgin Lapua brass, federal 210's and cci 250's, RL16, RL17, RL26, 4350 and a few other viable candidates for powder.

My question is where did you settle for your 6.5 CM loads?
I'd say 140gr hands down.
I dod just read that Bryan Litz say the Hornady 147gr. were not very good choice They have alot YAW
And that the 130 & 140 gr were a much better choice.

I had great luck with the 143 eldx also the 147 eldm 140 eldm and 120 eldm. 41.4-41.8gr of h4350 seems to be the sweet spot in most 6.5's but you will have to test for yourself. My tikka was shooting 1/4-1/3" groups at 200. 143eldx lapua lrp h4350 fed 210m

The 147gr ELDM unfortunately has some major flaws in its design and is just not a consistent bullet regarding external ballistics, which in turn will affect terminal ballistics. If it weren't for that, it would be a great weight and option.
Someones been following the Litz IG page.
That said, none of the information in his posts is relevant to a hunting cartridge for a new shooter that's never taking a shot at game beyond 1000 yds...and I've never seen a single top tier competition shooter substantiate the claims. Take that for what it's worth.
For me, nothing I have been able to load (SO FAR), has shot better than 147 Match Factory ammo from Hornady. Sub 1/3 MOA and does everything I need it to, out to 1400 yds that I've shot it.

How old is your son? What's his experience with shooting long distance? You mention 1000 yards is outside your expectation, What would be a long shot? I'm thinking for a young/new shooter, I'd like to see minimal recoil. Which would lead me to use lighter weight mono. You'll have a flatter shooting (to a certain point) with less recoil than the much heavier traditional bullets. There are starting to be more options than just the hammers so don't think you're stuck there. I shoot them, but went with badlands for my 6.5-284.

My opinion. Light weight mono, going fast if we're talking 500 and in.