"Precision honed dies"

I bet Skip is having a good laugh over this one!

It's pretty near impossible to hone a taper, unless your built to do it (machine). Even then you'll need a set of stones and the holder for each setup. If I were to want to recut the bore in a die to say shrink the case diameter .0025", and yet allow for spring back. I would do it on a B&S #13 or a gauge quality internal (Studer or a Heald). Cutting something very hard takes practice, but if your on your game it's a piece of cake. Getting the correct taper is a bitch (forget CNC anything), and if correctly done you blue it in with a male master.

gary
Glad someone is laughing....
So.... how does the guy who "custom hones the dies to chamber" do it?
Wags

How are die insides finished? They ain't just reamed!

How are die insides finished? They ain't just reamed![/QUOTE said:
Actually they can be. modern tools can place a beautiful finish on metal. when proper processes
are used a chamber reamer can place a polished appearing finish on the chamber that requires no polishing. In fact polishing is not recommended because it can alter the dimensions.

Die makers use high tec. machinery that places the proper finish in the dies. There is also a chemical process that polishes without removing enough material to alter the dimensions called
Electrochemical Polishing that removes the Microughness. A few barrel makers and die makers have used this process.

Normally only the carbide dies are polished or treated to improve there finish but they are so hard that very little material is removed during this stage of manufacturing.

There are different finishes required for different task and if the finish is to smooth, it will not hold
lubricants very well and gall. Carbide dies are very hard and require no lubricants because of there finish, but they are mostly used in straight sided pistol cases where very little sizing force is needed.

Rifle cases require lubricants because of the sizing force so a very high polish would not be a vary good idea. This is one case where more is not better.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.