Forster custom honed die?

Hondo64d

Shooting a .243 w/ Lapua Brass, and due to my loathing the expander ball, I want to have Forster custom hone a die for me. Strictly a hunting rig, so need enough neck tension so that bullets won't move in the magazine under recoil. Currently my loaded ammo measures .271 - .272 at the neck. Figure I need .003" tension, and allowing .002" spring back, that comes out to a .266 to .267" die. Is my reasoning correct? My once fired Lapua brass measures about .277" prior to re-sizing. Does this figure into what neck diameter die I need?

Thanks,

John

I had my forster 243 die honed to .269 and have had no troubles. My loaded round measures .272". This is a hunting rig and seems to have good neck tension.

I've had three done and it has helped reduce overworking the brass and less runout. I would call Forster and ask one of their techs what they recommend. If you go too far, the next lot of brass you have could be slightly thinner walled and will not get sized enough. Another thing to try is to remove the expander and run one of your fired cases through to see what it is at now. I've done this on another set and they didn't need honing.

I'd look for a Redding neck bushing die (either a full length or neck sizing). You can order the exact bushing you think you need to get the exact neck tension you desire, and adjust up or down just by getting a new bushing. My 2 cents worth.

-- gr8whyt

i have a custom size neck, FL die from Forster and absolutely love it. i understand the versatility of the bushing dies, but i don't think they make ammo that's as accurate as a one piece die.

i have a custom size neck, FL die from Forster and absolutely love it. i understand the versatility of the bushing dies, but i don't think they make ammo that's as accurate as a one piece die.

the one thing Forster has going for it is the sizer ball location on the seater stem. The case is completely captured as the neck I.D. is sized. Lots of pro and con on wether to use the sizer stem or not with a bushing die, and of course Wilson dosn't use one at all. But in their case the bushing also floats in a chamber a small amount. You could simply set the die up in a lathe and bore it out for a Wilson bushing of the size your after (several places do this), or find a buddy that has access to a Sunnen power hone, and a set of gauge pins. Tell him to hone the case out to a very light slip fit on a .277 gauge pin (or better yet a slip fit on a .276 gauge pin.). It'll take him longer to set the hone up than to hone it (about 30 minutes total time). I've done a couple dies sets in a hone to make the cases fit the chamber better in a wheel gun.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.