Prairie dogs on Cimarron National Grasslands

Natty Bumpo

Spent the last few days of May at the Cimarron National Grasslands in SW Kansas shooting prairie dogs. Drought and plague have taken their toll. I hadn't been there since 2005 and 2006. I was seeing a lot more dogs back then. Still saw a fair amount and got some shooting in, but their numbers seemed a lot fewer than during my last trip.

They're public land dogs and are hunted hard. Many know to head for their holes when a truck slows down or pulls in.

Was overestimating range a lot. Had the numbers worked out for size of a 9" dog in mils at 10X and 20X. I think a fair number of the dogs were pups and were not 9" tall. That and they don't always stand up!

I was out their the same weekend as the fishing derby. What a mistake! The wind was nearly 30MPH by 10AM. The plan was to stay two nights but after one I had to leave, what a disappointment.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.