Ranging prairie dogs

TM , my LRF results parallel those of BillR , MTBullet , Visigoth , and StrobeckJ . You will always find some variability in the Rangefinding limits due to variability in the Laser Diodes used . The Ranches I've hunted in the past don't present much of a grass problem and my favorite is sort of bowl shaped with me on the Rim . Unfortunately all of these have been poisoned out or otherwise unavailable . My Leica 1200 Scan worked very well out to maybe 800 Yards or so . Mostly , my shot limit is about 600 Yards , but eventually I want to go out to maybe 1200 Yards or so . With that in mind . I went to a Swaro which does quite a bit more than that , but I had to go thru two DUDS to get a good one ! Not sure how you can tell whether you are Ranging a single Pdog or the Mound or something else close by unless you actually walk to the downed Pdog and sight back on your Vehicle . I preferred the Aiming Reticle and Color on the Leica to that of the Swaro . Same for the actuation button . I also found that the the Bullet drift at long distances far out weigh any small differences in whether you are sighting on the Pdog , Mound , or nearby Rock or Tree . I have been out in Winds so strong that I could'nt even use a stand-up Tripod . When my success drops down to anywhere near 25 % , I go sightseeing or Gunshop looking . I hope to make one or two more Trips out to SD , Wyo , or Montana while I am still physically able .

I have more prairie dogs to shoot than I have bullets to shoot them with. I live in the Musselshell Valley, a Montana Prairie dog hotspot. Unless you have a top notch RF like the Leica 1600, you would be better off ranging the mound than trying to range a prairie dog at most distances.

If they are standing up, they can be ranged with some effectiveness with ballistic reticles or mil-dots....or laying broadside to you. If you have a .204 Ruger, just put the crosshairs on 'em and pull the trigger on anything out to 250 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.