Prairie Dog Rifle Question…

My combination is a .222 Remington (Model 700) and 6mm Remington (Ruger77). 85 - 90% are the .222. I always take a .22LR but it is becoming harder to find those "short" shots

wow, how the heck do you seat the 73gr ELDM or 77gr SMK/TMK to magazine length for your AR? 69gr is the largest I have been able to get to cooperate in my AR for mag length COAL.
They both load to AR mag length perfectly well. The 73gr ELDM, as I understand, was specifically designed to fit mag length. Hornady factory 73ELDM ammo also fits AR mag length.

I load 69gr Cust Comps for my next door neighbor. They also shoot well. My issue these days is that I can't find any more Reloder 15.

Yep, the 73 ELDMs were purpose made for ARs. They load and shoot great at mag length. The 75 ELDMs have a different ogive and are not meant for AR length loading, but work well in my bolt gun 223s as well as 22 CM. The most economical bullet that I have found that loads to mag length and also shoots well is the Hornady 75gr BTHP Match bullet. It falls only a few B.C. points behind the 73 ELDM and can be had for roughly half the price when purchased in the 600 pack. - https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/22-cal-224-75-gr-bthp-600#!/

I dont see how its possible to shoot that many rounds in one day unless your using large magazines in semi autos and blazing away at running prairie dogs.
I guess it all depends upon what is considered to be fun.
For me, single feeding the gun, shooting from a bench, and not shooting at running dogs, 150 rounds is a pretty busy day.
I guess you've Never shot a big Perry dog town.shooting Bolt guns I will shoot well over 2000 rounds in 2 days in Colorado. 22lr, 22 magnum 223, 22.250, 243, 308. The 22lr and mag are auto's in the past but now I have added Ruger 22lr and mag Precisions to the line up. I always take some hand guns. With an AR you shoot to fast and to many rounds. Any way I do Hope you get into some big towns.

Attachments

• 1220211717~2.jpg
    1220211717~2.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1587009442478.jpg
    1587009442478.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 29
I guess you've Never shot a big Perry dog town.shooting Bolt guns I will shoot well over 2000 rounds in 2 days in Colorado. 22lr, 22 magnum 223, 22.250, 243, 308. The 22lr and mag are auto's in the past but now I have added Ruger 22lr and mag Precisions to the line up. I always take some hand guns. With an AR you shoot to fast and to many rounds. Any way I do Hope you get into some big towns.
High numbers of rounds fired isn't difficult. Doesn't even require prairie dogs.

High numbers of kills is a different discussion.

Based on what I've seen over the years, the higher the number of rounds fired, the fewer number of dead prairie dogs.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

High numbers of rounds fired isn't difficult. Doesn't even require prairie dogs.

High numbers of kills is a different discussion.

Based on what I've seen over the years, the higher the number of rounds fired, the fewer number of dead prairie dogs

In the past we all did our best "scouts honor" to keep track of kills by placing the empty cartridge heads up or down whether it was a kill or not. That's a lot harder to do when shooting ARs. I think going forward, I'll start using a clicker like I do when I'm fishing.
clicjer.jpg

Interesting.. Okay, well thats the lightest caliber I have... Beyond that, the rounds just get bigger... Im sure 338 Lapua wouldnt be the most desired for this application but it would be interesting to see what happens to the PD upon impact... lol
It could be a bit pricey with the 338 LM; even reloading isn't much cheaper. Still the impact would be spectacular.

My prairie dog rifle has to accurate. l also need to SEE my hits. lts pretty much lmpossible with anything
above 223Rem. 222Rem is perfection w/300yd max
I'll
I dont see how its possible to shoot that many rounds in one day unless your using large magazines in semi autos and blazing away at running prairie dogs.
I guess it all depends upon what is considered to be fun.
For me, single feeding the gun, shooting from a bench, and not shooting at running dogs, 150 rounds is a pretty busy day.

Your statement is true if you can't shoot. I never keep count of How many dogs I hit Because i'm killing too many and shooting too much to keep count. Yes I shot 49 times at 1 dog and put all rounds on the mound with him before I hit him. he was just out over 700 yd.
With the 223 and 40x scope. It made me happy.

Have your spotter evaluate process. If no spotter:
I take note of the first 20 rounds fired & calculate hit %. Then compare hit % in 10 round increments, like 8-9 out of 10 means 85%. When hits % falls for some unknown reason, time to take a break, let things cool down, have a cold drink, clean barrel, look at birds ....
No big deal - have fun.

In a plowed field going for ground squirels. I take out cement blocks and we place them with a laser range finder and then let them come back out so we have known ranges when we all park and comence firing

In a plowed field going for ground squirels. I take out cement blocks and we place them with a laser range finder and then let them come back out so we have known ranges when we all park and comence firing
Try pill bottles loaded with tanerite and peanut butter on the outside.. wait for a few to start nibbling!