Prairie dog hunts

Pretty much have given up on PD hunts. Hunted several years in a row with Sagebrush Outfitters near Dalhart, TX and one year into N.M. We were given a VERY hard to understand map and pretty much told, have at it. We saw some PD's but only one pasture with a BUNCH but it was off limits. Just too far of a drive to take maybe 30 shots at about 600 yards and hitting a few. Probably had a few "honey Hole" pastures but we never saw them. Living near Dallas, just too far for too little.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.JPG
    IMG_3938.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
You should check with the fort belknap Indian reservation in Montana, or the rosebud in Nebraska, years ago you could purchase a permit to shoot on tribal lands without a guide, I don't know the current protocol or rules and regulations are. I had outstanding shooting on both 200 to 400 rounds a day were common and that was with 5 to 6 shooters all with 3 or 4 guns each
I've shot at the Rosebud. Hot barrels for sure. You are assigned a guide, not expensive, but mandatory.

There's such a thing as a guided prairie dog hunt?!
View attachment 437790
Yeah, but most that are listed as "guided" are actually "semi-guided." Les picked us at the motel in the morning and drove us to all the towns in his truck. We shot from his truck the first day and from a trailer towed behind his truck the second day. Another guide stayed w/ us the entire day (which was a good thing as he spotted a tornado headed our direction while we were busy shooting!). 10 Gauge led us to the town the first day, then left us alone the rest of the time. When my friends hunted years ago w/ Prairie Dog Safaris the guide was with them all the time. Most (e.g. Sagebrush and Rebel Ridge) give you a map of the towns and leave you on you own.

I think most of PD shoots are " guided " now, because most of the PD's have been poisoned and the remaining are on lands that are leased up. You simply won't find good shooting on public lands these days. If 10 shots before noon, past 400 yds is what you're after, then I will concede that point.

I pay a " guide " because I get to shoot unpressured dogs starting at 100 yds with my bow and little 17 wildcats. Then work my way out. I won't even share what state it's in...and if my wife goes, she has to wear a blindfold for the drive out and back to town. Loose lips sink ships!!