Practice with .22 lr

big hunter

I have read over on the 24 hour campfire how many of you practice with a .22 long rifle to about 400 yards or so as practice for big game.
I am wondering what equipment you use, how heavy the rifles are, and what loads you use for that purpose. Also, do you use live targets out at that range or just paper?
Also, I have a Marlin bolt action rifle with a Buschnell 3-9x32 scope. Are the clicks repeatable enough on it to put it to use at longer ranges? What ammunition should I use for accuracy at 100+ yards? While this probably isn't as sophisticated a rig as you guys have, how far do you think it could be accurate? Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi Big Hunter...And welcome...To answer the first part of your ?.I have found shooting a 22 is a good way to learn trigger control.I however don't know of anybody shooting them out to 400 yard's.I do shoot mine to 100 yard's sometime's.I have also taken groundhog's at just shy of 100 yard's with one.The 22 I use is a Marlin 25n with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44...Does your scope have target knob's?...The gun's I use to practice at long range are the gun's I use in deer season.22's are fun to shoot.And they will help you for when you get out the BIG STUFF.If you have any other ?'s throw me an e-mail.Where are you at in Pa???

Well, I don't believe they have target knobs, but 1/4 MOA clicks that are audible as well as visible. I usually put it an inch high at 50 yards, and can screw around with it at 100 yards some, even a bit farther. One day, I was consistently popping balloons at 150 once I got elevation right, but I was using holdover, not the knobs.
I don't know who it was, but I'm thinking somebody over there posted something about taking a .22 that far, don't know who it was though. I sure hope I didn't misread anybody.

That would be me.

We shoot 300 to 400yds,alot.Use a Norinco with tasco tactical,my target 10/22 with Leupold 6-18 target,and an old Mossberg target rifle.THE ONLY WAY TO SHOOT THAT FAR IS TO CLICK.There is no way to be accurate holding over.I dont think your scope will track good enough either.The best way to do it is shoot at a gong,and have a spotter with a powerful spotting scope.You dont have to have a spotter,though you better look REAL close as you probably wont be able to hear them.
grin.gif

Thanks SealSniper. I was wondering about the scope as well; I'm not sure about it. I guess the best way to find out before hand is to zero it at 50, then do what those gun writers do.
Move it 16 to 24 clicks (2-3 inches) in each direction and shoot a group, then move it back. I guess if the last group is on the first one, I'm alright. I guess that would give me an idea if it is or not. Thanks for the help.

SealSniper: I'm hopping over from the Campfire site too. Do I read you right that you are using a plain old regular 10/22 to put a 22LR to hit at 400 yards?

Ok I'm really intrigued.

(I wanna do it! I wanna do it!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

What ammo are you using? What kind of drop does it have at that range?

It would be worth buying a 10/22 just to do this with!

If you want to zap me an email at [email protected] I'll get it quicker than checking here. Thanks, Mike.

I love this topic.
I shoot a lot at 200 yards. I can hit 2.5" targets consistently after a windage shot.
1" targets at 150 yards. The 2.5" target is a kill zone on a rabbit. The 1" is a squirrel.
I once hit a soda can at 350 after a windage shot.That was the only time I have shot at that distance.
I just set up a 400 yard range so I don't have a lot of experience at that distance yet. I do know it is 64 minutes of drop. I took a few shots off hand in high wind and came pretty close to a milk jug.One shot missed by about 6 inches.A bench will make all tha difference. I don't think the milk jug will be that difficult to hit in good conditions.
I shoot a customized Ruger 1022T with Eley HVHP ammo and a Shepherd scope which has hold over marks to 500 yards.
Good shooting.

A couple days ago I hit a milk jug at 400 yards, today I got a Coca-cola can.If the wind would ever stop blowing I could see how consistent I am.

Sorry guys I've been extremly busy lately and havent been able to get on a computer.No the RUGER isnt stock it.I put a Houge stock,Butler creek barrel and new trigger unit on it.I normaly use either Elay or agille ammo.
I agree with Boyd though use the big guns to learn to shoot long,the 22s are really just for fun.

Big Hunter, I think you stole my gun!!
smile.gif
I too have a Marlin (bolt action in an 06'with Bushnel scope) Too funny... I dont know about ammo, I load my own. With mine, I can hit a golfball at 200 yards. Come to think of it, I havent shot commercial rounds for 2 years. May have to try a box just for kicks!
SEALSNIPER, I see that you shoot using a Tasco Tactical. I am currently looking into one and would appreciate your opinion.

What yardage is the drop of a 22lr equal to a 308 175gr Gold Medal match at 1000 yards. Also at what yardages do the 408 Cheytac or 50 BMG (Lost River Ballistics bullets) match the drop of the aforementioned 308?

Inquiring minds want to know!
wink.gif

From shooting small bore silhouette and also plinking at long range with a 22LR, I would suggest trying subsonic match ammo. I use Eley Standard/Target. Any of the match brands including Eley, Federal, Lapua, RWS can work. Each company carries so many different versions that it would be impossible to say what will work in your rifle.

Just like handloading, different types and brands must be tried to find the "load" that shoots in your rifle. It doesn't have to be the most expensive, just consistent which the Wal mart specials aren't. Expect to get 5rds into an inch or so at 100yds with the right ammo. Inconsistent ammo will show up as flyers usually as much lower shots.

I have successfully used rifles made by Bruno/CZ and the Norinco clones. Anschutz (or CIL copies), Kimbers, and rebarreled 10/22 will also work. Many have had success with domestic bolt guns from the 50's and 60's as well (Mossberg 144, and Remington 500 series). You need a decent trigger and a lot of time testing ammo.

Scopes with lots of adjustment or shimmed bases will be needed as well.

Once you get a combo that works at 100yds, you will be amazed at how far you can shoot. The limiting factor is elevation and your ability to see the impact. Friend shot at a target at over 600yds and came real close to connecting. The shots were spotted and elevation added till the target was almost hit. Impact was close enough to make it leave in a hurry. Zero wind that day.

Good luck..

Jerry

PS I own two Tasco Tactical Sniper scopes. The 10X has pretty decent optics and works very well. The 20X has pretty lousy optics but works equally as well. I have heard that the 16X also has good optics. For the money, there isn't a scope on the market with the amount of adjustment. The closest you will get is the Leupold 16X long range, night Force, or European scopes at much more money.

We do a lot of .22 rimfire shooting here because most of the farms we shot gophers at are too small for big centrefires.

Rifles are usually heavy barreled target versions like Anschutz etc.

Gophers are about 2.5" wide and 6-9" tall. I have made hits out to 200 yds and a whole lot of hits to about 150 yds. Last week I made a laser ranged hit at 170yds. Gophers are difficult targets because they are always moving.

For optics we use the 3-9x40 Tasco Worldclass with MIL Dot reticle. Because we shoot in a target rich environment it would be too slow to click up for each shot and the turret would probably wear out after a few months of this sort of abuse. So we use the MIL Dots for holdovers. From a 50yd zero 5 mils holdover can take you out to about 200 yds or so. To go any further you will need to click up.

Peter Cronhelm

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.