Practice load questions

jpfrog

Howdy-

I have a question on what differences in impact/performance I can expect to see if I switch up my .300 Win Mag hunting load with a less expensive bullet for practice use. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm considering taking a LRH course that requires a minimum of 350 rounds, so the savings will be significant by using the alternate bullet.

For my hunting loads, I use the Accubond 180gr bullet, which has a BC of 0.507 and an OAL of 1.380".

For practice, I'm considering the Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet, also 180gr and a BC of 0.507, but with an OAL of 1.360".

My question is, with the BC and bullet weights being the same, will there be a noticeable difference resulting from the Ballistic Tip due to it's 0.020" shorter OAL? The savings of going with the BT over the AB for the minimum rounds for this course will be over $60, which could be used for more powder or other items I'll need for the course. However, $60 isn't much if it produces a much different performance than the hunting load I'll be using outside of practice.

Thanks!

I have found no discernible difference between these 2 bullets with identical loads, as far as trajectory goes, but the AB shot tighter groups.

I run 81gr of RE25 with either bullet in fully prepped Remington bras, weight sorted and neck annealed and the velocity difference is negligible.

The only way to find out for sure is to shoot them both side by side, that's what I did, the cost of 1 box of pills won't break the bank and it may turn out to be just what you want, or one will prove to be more accurate than the other.

:D
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.