Practical practice

As we head into preseason I was wondering how everyone practices for in the field or actual hunting scenarios? I can shoot at a range for distance once in awhile but day to day on the farm it is limited range. I "sneak" through the woods and shoot at my plate at varing distances but it is fairly close terrain. Going to set up a spot I can flop and shoot over my pack but again that seems ''canned".

I've been so focused on reloading and finding a load I don't want to lose focus on delivery. I'm great with using a tree for aid so hoping for some trees or boulders to steady against in '23. Thank you for any insights offered!
You could tailor it to your terrain. Spots out here in Oregon vary quite a bit. I could be in dense woods so offhand shots or kneeling might be the most applicable. Out on a clear cut I might have a longer shot so supported against some rocks or deadfall might offer the best support. Or if I'm in the desert I may be better off shooting from a pack prone. If there's tall grass I'll be slung sitting with shooting sticks and my pack. Match how you'll most likely come across to where you will be hunting. That's about the best advise I can give.

As we head into preseason I was wondering how everyone practices for in the field or actual hunting scenarios? I can shoot at a range for distance once in awhile but day to day on the farm it is limited range. I "sneak" through the woods and shoot at my plate at varing distances but it is fairly close terrain. Going to set up a spot I can flop and shoot over my pack but again that seems ''canned".

I've been so focused on reloading and finding a load I don't want to lose focus on delivery. I'm great with using a tree for aid so hoping for some trees or boulders to steady against in '23. Thank you for any insights offered!
So I can suggest two things: (1) years ago i had a cataract from an injury in my right eye. Rocked on for a year and a half before I got it repaired. Learned to shoot with my left eye, left-handed although I'm normally just the opposite. I still practice that today. Mostly for me it comes in handy with turkey hunting and hunting deer from ladder stands in thick cover as when the bird or deer comes in on my right. I have killed both over the last 3 years using left hand shot. (2) I mostly practice this with AR and pistol, but this will work great elk hunting when you're huffing it up & down hills. I practice running in place on my homemade range from an old gravel pit on our homestead. Breathing heavy and trying to shoot thru a high magnification scope is difficult at best. Crosshairs are jumping all over the place. Not as bad with green dot sight as the range is closer.
Good luck on your elk hunt!

Just a few ideas with a tripod. There are lots things you can do. Use the tripod for rear support, like in prs barrier positions,

Attachments

• E387C30A-8917-43C7-A1A5-D0579306BCD1.jpeg
    E387C30A-8917-43C7-A1A5-D0579306BCD1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 34293522-486B-47F7-A036-8E49BF730FED.jpeg
    34293522-486B-47F7-A036-8E49BF730FED.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • 4D851B69-3CEA-467E-AEC4-554406A97178.jpeg
    4D851B69-3CEA-467E-AEC4-554406A97178.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 63
  • 4CFCCA8A-4431-4D9A-8A1D-3CF070F20DDE.jpeg
    4CFCCA8A-4431-4D9A-8A1D-3CF070F20DDE.jpeg
    821.5 KB · Views: 60
I also like to shoot the 22 at distance in field positions for good and cheap practice. Walking and jogging (safely) in between shots are a great way to try to get your breathing under control. Maybe invite a friend for some friendly competition and just have fun while practicing.

I like to use my 77/22 offhand @ 50 yards shooting @ 1" target dots. I shoot one clip offhand off the right side, then I shoot a clip offhand off the left side.

For my CF's, I like to put up paper plates out to 700 yards. I load 3 rounds, and on the word go (wife times me) I hit the turf and shoot 3 rounds. Goal being 3 on the plate sub 10 seconds! I shoot both off my day pack as well I also do it with a bipod.

Both of these exercises keep me fairly sharp and on my toes.