Powder suggestions 22-243 Win

Looking for suggestions for 22-243 Win project. It's gonna be a Shilen 28in 1in8twist screwed onto a Savage 12 FV. Won't be here till early fall.

I've got 243 Lapua brass and some 65gr gamekings and 80gr Bergers ready. Primers on hand are Rem 9 1/2 and 9 1/2M as well as CCI mag primers.

Reloader 22 and 25 seem to be popular but am interested in suggestions. Is there a preferred Hodgdon powder? Majority of shooting will be in cold weather for coyotes.

Thanks Ryan

I would like to suggest you try Ramshot Hunter as it is a spherical powder with a burn rate in the 4350 range.

It may be easier on your throat than the stick powder alternatives. (I own a Hodgdon hat ... :) )

It is advertised as being temperature stable. I can not comment on that though as I have not tested it.

Something to consider as the 22-243 may be somewhat overbore and may have a short throat life.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.