Powder price increase

I was at Bass Pro Friday and they had IMR 4350 marked at $49.99 a lb. Grabbed some as it was $74.95 a lb online. Went to the cashier and it rang up $29.99. I went back a few hours later and got some more and H4831SC, which rang up $37lb. Then I got a 10% mil discount. I'm stocked up for a while now. At this point, I'll run out of primers first.

I was at Bass Pro Friday and they had IMR 4350 marked at $49.99 a lb. Grabbed some as it was $74.95 a lb online. Went to the cashier and it rang up $29.99. I went back a few hours later and got some more and H4831SC, which rang up $37lb. Then I got a 10% mil discount. I'm stocked up for a while now. At this point, I'll run out of primers first.
Awesome catch buddy

About 5 years ago our local rifle range was packed with shooters from mid June to mid November, almost impossible to find a place to shoot. Last year it was relatively easy to find a place to shoot. Years ago much range brass on ground; this past year very little. Ammo, component prices & availability have caused this. Recently, I paid just under $50 for powders that cost $30 - $40 just weeks ago. My guess is that prices will gradually increase this year until the combination of inflation & military demand level off. A low price powder fest continued for years after WWII when surplus powders like H4831 in the red & yellow cardboard containers were available. Huge amounts of surplus extruded powders were dissolved and then made into ball powders. Possibly, powders like H380 were made from huge stocks of 4895 that had begun to deteriorate.

Past horrific explosions that busted distant windows during the extruded powder drying stage during WWI eventually caused the end of domestic extruded powder production. We now have inflation & large military demands with the never ending Ukraine war and ramping up NATO.

My tiny little .20P using 25.5 - 27 grains of powder is a go for volume rodent shooting. Visiting kids love to shoot it at 300 yard steel, almost 260 rounds per pound using lowest price domestic ball powders.

Last edited: