Porting barrels

Mossberg has shotgun barrels with ports (a series of round holes) on the top near the muzzle. They do keep the barrel down so that follow up shots are quicker. I guess I can perceive a slight reduction in felt recoil also, but I believe limiting muzzle jump is the main purpose.

Zimm, I've had MagNaPort do their "ProPort" on a Rem 1100 shotgun. I use this shotgun on bowling pins and hunting. The ProPort does help muzzle rise (very notable), and supposedly recoil (can't really tell the difference). On rifles, MagNaPort has tests showing a 20% reduction of recoil, and I would guess the shotgun would be similar. Call MagNaPort and talk to them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Two of my shotguns are ported both are over and under, one for skeet and one for trap. I can mainly tell the difference in muzzle rise. Once I relieved the forcen cones I could tell the difference in recoil. I also have a compensated 1911 which is kinda like a muzzle break on a rifle, except I still get the felt recoil straight back with very little muzzle flip.

I have the Browning Gold 12ga. ported and has long forcing cone and has very little felt recoil.Porting does work in shotguns if it is done properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.