Polishing a body die?

The thread is decending into a ****ing contest between Larry and Bart and over complicating the issue.

Yeah, there's a bit of that, but I'm grateful because the consequence is I visited Larry's web site and ordered a couple of nifty reloading tools. He's improved the mouse trap - so to speak - with a few tools he's designed for reloading enthusiasts.

Yeah, there's a bit of that, but I'm grateful because the consequence is I visited Larry's web site and ordered a couple of nifty reloading tools. He's improved the mouse trap - so to speak - with a few tools he's designed for reloading enthusiasts.

Yes he does make some great stuff and is a nice guy to boot as he has helped me also. However he is also a smart business man and wants to expose his products as much as possible .
The problem with professionals is they only know how to do things the technical and professional way and sometimes that just confuses the average shooter who only has shade tree equipment at his disposal anyway .
I can waffle on all day long with technical jargon about guns in general but what does it really achieve if the poster does not understand it .
The subject of the thread was " Polishing a body die " and as far as I can see I am the only one who answered with a practical solution . I know it is because I have done it myself. The technique would not suit Bart or Larry with their million dollar work shops but in the shade of my mango tree it works ok to ease the die , slow but ok .

The thread forked when it was suggested to back off on FL die settings instead of fitting a die.
I gave OP a solution at post #15, that directly addresses his concern(which is valid).

I think the problem was clearly ID'd as an excessively large diameter chamber - relative to the body/resizing die being used. The problem has been idenitified, and solution(s) provided, for jsthntn247.

I open up a resizing die once using valve grinding compound spinning on a dowel connected to a battery operated drill, but the die ended up being non-concentric. The steel in these resizing dies is surprisingly hardened up during the manufacturing process. It took a lot of dowel turning time the way I went about it. Bullet bumper has devised and implemented methode to accomplish the job correctly. I knew my method was susceptible to runout, and that's exactly what I ended up with. I still use the resizing die, but it bugs me every now and then that booggered up my die. It was an RCBS sizing die for a .280 RCBS Improved - 30 degree shoulder.

Based on that experience, and no experience casting chambers with molten lead, I'd probably lean toward the Mikecr solution of a custom die for the rifle, if it was a rifle I loaded and shot a lot.

247 just needs to decide how he wants to resolve the problem of limited casing life.

I have all the parts for a new rifle. Once it is plumbed up, if I am still having this problem I will get new dies. I've got 3 matches left to shoot with this gun ( no where near a factory rifle) so I am saving most of my brass for the next chamber. Thanks for all y'all's in put, I've already emailed the custom die maker that was suggested.

Bullet Bumper ......

It still provides several opportunities for shooters to learn from. This is a fairly simple topic that is commonly misunderstood. It was mentioned earlier that this is really not rocket science, and every shooter is free to pursue reloading as they would like.

Besides being in the shooting and reloading industry for decades, you can visit my website (over 150 pages of shooting and reloading information). This was designed to help shooters every single day (and has for the last 13 years).

I always recommend using at least two published reloading manuals, and verify the accuracy of your technical information before accepting it as fact.

Does anyone else in this thread see the flaws in Larry's reasoning?

How 'bout his incorrect headspace definition in that referenced page on his web site?

How 'bout his incorrect headspace definition in that referenced page on his web site?

I read that article on Larry's website. I understood it, from the perspective of an active shooter and reloading enthusiast over the past 44 years. Can't say that I know the precise definitions of some of those terms you've been debating according to the firearms industry standards, but I do believe I got the full, intended meaning from the article. You might be splitting hairs on definitions that a majority of non-PhD shooters/reloaders aren't overly concerned about.

Bullet Bumper ......

It still provides several opportunities for shooters to learn from. This is a fairly simple topic that is commonly misunderstood. It was mentioned earlier that this is really not rocket science, and every shooter is free to pursue reloading as they would like.

Besides being in the shooting and reloading industry for decades, you can visit my website (over 150 pages of shooting and reloading information). This was designed to help shooters every single day (and has for the last 13 years).

I always recommend using at least two published reloading manuals, and verify the accuracy of your technical information before accepting it as fact.

You have lost me Larry I have no real idea what you are referring too.
I know you have been a very helpful person to reloaders , no denying that but , you do put that stuff on you website to attract customers . I don't need to visit your website I have been reloading for 40 years , bullet swaging for 25 years and do most of my own gun smithing .
I invented my own body dies 20 years before they were ever on the commercial market .
Sorry mate I don't see the full relevance of your comments to my previous post .

Normally me and Bart argue a bit , but in this thread everything he has said is correct as far as I can see .

That article (on WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM) actually covers two separate topics. (1) Accurately minimizing chamber clearance using a comparator, and (2) it explains the most common handloading problem with belted magnum calibers.

I often use this page to explain both topics together, because it helps shooters see how their handloads bulge and why head separations occur.

When shooters start to grind (or polish) their dies, there is usually another cause for their problem. It's usually related to their die height adjustment.

Three of my patented tools are now used by well over 6,000 shooters. I've found that some shooters are happy using familiar equipment that they have always used, and that's perfectly OK. However, there are a whole lot of shooters that want to do a little better.

- Semper Fi

People that usually grind their die are usually doing it to the bottom, so the die goes further down over ther case. How would it be possible to put the case not as far up in the die and have the same shoulder bump if the person is monitoring with a gauge closely and getting a known .001 bump?

jsthntn247 ..........

When shooters fail to actually "MEASURE" the shoulder clearance (or case width) that their handloads have in their particular chamber, they often assume they need deeper travel into their resizing die.

At least, that's what I've found after taking their phone calls for the last 13 years. I'm not saying that ALL resizing dies are perfect. However, it's incredibly easy for modern CNC lathes to produce sizing dies within spec.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.