Pointer Trainer - DFW area

heat_and_fam

In need of a good gun dog trainer in DFW. Most of the places I've called are more retriever/duck dog trainers here, having trouble finding someone who can work with a 'versatile' breed.

Taking last year off due to a move has put my younger dog behind in the field. He needs a little work on his hold. Went out a few weeks ago and he was hunting for himself, flushing quail on his own left and right. Not sure I've got the skill to correct that on my own. Problem is he's a family dog and he gets used to his walks (often with my wife) with our non-bird dog where they can just run, chase rabbits, smells, etc.

I don't need perfect, but I do need him to hold until I can get on him from 50 yards or so away. It's 100% my fault he's learned that behavior, just hoping to correct it while we can. Hoping he can learn the difference between running wild on our walks/exercise and get that on/off switch back for hunting. He had a really solid first year as a young pup.

Last edited:
I trained a pointer for a friend once, I had it for six months and it was a really steady and intelligent dog. He visited several time during the training, and eventually took her home. She would not do a **** thing for him, as far as she was concerned she was my dog and would only work for me.

If you want a good working dog get a Brittany Spaniel bitch and train her yourself.