POI Shift on Variable Leupold Scopes?

How dramatic has your POI changes been and what power scope? For example on a 6.5x25, did you power yup from 3 to max? Did you measure the change? Thanks for the additional info. Jim R

S1: I just bought a Leupold 4.5-14X Vari-X III!
How serious are the POI shifts you experienced and at what ranges?
What changes in magnification?
What can I do about it? Sight in and hunt at the same magnif. setting all the time? That kind of defeats the purpose of having a variable scope!!
Thanks for the warning and response to this.
JCB

I suffered this problem too. I traded up to a 4-16x50 Scmhidt and Bender. Unforunately the reticules in the first plane but it's the only way they gaurantee no poi shift when zooming up and down. I've had the scmhidt 10 months now and I wouldn't go back to a Leupold, it's a superb bit of glass.

UK Varminter,

The S&B is far more reasonable in your neck of the woods,,, at least when compared to what a Leupold costs in Europe.

Premier Reticle has come out with the GEN II mildot reticle, which moves the reticle into the first focal plane. This eleminates the POI shift from a magnification change. I'd still check it myself,, but I check and log all my optics for POI shift, Box test tracking, etc. So I know what to expect.

FatBoy...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.