Pocket Pc And Kestrel Advice Needed ?

Down Under Hunter

Hello all,

I am needing to purchase an affordable pocket pc to run nightforce softwear and kestrel weather instrument. I would like the pc to have inbuilt card reader and gps. What would you all suggest ? I don't know much about them other than looking at a couple of brands like dell and HP ??

I also want to buy a kestrel weather instrument for imput data in support of a long range rifle system. Which Kestrel would you suggest and why ? There seems to be quite a few which confuses me ? I need one that gives all relavent info for the ballistics program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all !!

Simon,

I'm sure not the person of experience when it comes to a combo Pocket PC/GPS combo it just seems to me that if it goes down, you're SOL for LRH.

The alternative route would be to have seperate devices. I went on to Amazon.com and used their search feature

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...&field-keywords=ipaq+pocket+pc&Go.x=11&Go.y=6

to explore, educate myself and decide on a used iPAQ Pocket PC 2210/2215 model. The only diff between the 2210/2215 is the 2215 is not a retail item, it's a model sold directly to companies. I was able to win a $110 bid plus $7 shipping on Ebay. It even came with a huge "extra" 900 Mhg battery and cradle. It runs EXBAL (same as your Nightforce program, just with the Nightforce logo attached) extremly well.

I would look at the Kestrel comparison page to help decide what model pocket weather meter you want.

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/custserv/info.jsp?pageName=Compare_Kestrel_Meters&sNav=0

You'll need a model which will read temp, wind and Barometric pressure. I believe you want a minimum of the 2500 as it has Baro pressure, which you will definatly need. Humidity does not, as I''ve been lead to believe, make that much of a difference. I just ran my EXBAL, and with the 639 yd shot I made this morning, it's only a .2" difference between 5% and 100% humidity. But it you are anal enough to worry about it, get the 3500 and you'll be set for anything LRH can throw at you.

The only time you'll need altitude is when you set you zero on your rifle 'cause when your out hunting you'll want to enter the exact "station" baro pressure, not the standard pressure. It's more accurate.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

I would highly recommend the Pocket PC and GPS receiver as separate units.

Get a Pocket PC w/Bluetooth. Get a bluetooth GPS. Google on Transplant gps.

I use that combination for all outdoors activities and for guidance to specific spots for aerial photography.

The only downer is the need for software for the Pocket PC which adds a bit to the expense.

It is very robust and flexible.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.